RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I just bought a 2021 Tiffin 25’ Wayfarer and the shower does…

I just bought a...

I just bought a 2021 Tiffin 25’ Wayfarer and the shower does not drain consistently and after it does it back fills with dirty water when I run my kitchen sink

Mechanic's Assistant: How can I help with your plumbing question? How long have you been dealing with this plumbing issue?

3 days. I just bought this unit and this is my first excursion in it.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?

Draining the tanks.

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/7/2020
RV Mechanic: Brian, Certified RV Tech replied 1 year ago
Brian
Brian, Certified RV Tech

Hello, thank you for reaching out to JustAnswer.com. My name is ***** ***** I’d like to assist you with this. Please give me a moment to type up a response.

If you receive a message about a phone call, that is not me requesting it. The automated system from JustAnswer.com offers it as an extended service.

Are you at a place where you can drain the tanks?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We drained them yesterday.

Ok. You only have 32 gallons of holding capacity in that gray tank. So if you're taking regular showers, you could be filling it up too fast. The backfilling is what is making me think that they are getting filled up and not drained quickly. If you're at a campground where you have hookups, you can leave the gray tank dump valve open all the time with no issues (don't do that with the black tank or you will get the dreaded poo mountain, not good).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have taken VERY short showers. I can't imagine that should fill up that quickly

32 gallons goes very fast. No judgement here on how long anyone showers. We have a large tank in our rig and we still have to do Navy showers when we are boon docking or dispersed camping or we will fill it within a couple days (3 people). A test of this could be if you're at a camp ground to turn on the faucet in your rig and fill a gallon of water. Time it. Empty your gray tank completely and close the valve. Then, turn on the faucet and time it until you get the backfill. The math should equal out. Now, next text i'll give a couple possible scenarios where there is an issue, but if you called me out to your rig to work on this, that first test would be where I started.

The killer for gray tank filling can also be the sink for doing dishes. It will shock you to see how much water is used when doing them. Ok, scenarios. If you have any damage to the tank it is possible that it could be reducing your capacity. An inspection for that would require that you remove the gray tank drain and inspect it visually. A different tank was installed at the factory (Unlikely, but I never rule it out).

Another possibility would be gunk build up but you just bought the rig, so I do not see that as a viable possibility.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

This is R**** son Hey man the kitchen sink backs up into the shower Even when the tank is empty I drained it with a water hose we found glue from the pipes coming out of the drain. She is by herself and only washing a coffee cub and a spoon we have multiple trailers and a 40' diesel pusher motorhome we know what we can and can't do and are taking short showers all of that is there a service center around that can look at this ? The plumbing doesn't seem to have enough fall to drain correctly to me. The coach is level

I'd need to know your location to look that information up for you. Thank you for clarifying all of that information.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

We are in R****** ******* CA. 7*** L*** P*** ***** Zip 9****

If you can, follow the pipes visually from under the sink to see where they go under the coach. This being a MB, you might have one of the weather coverings so looking under the coach may require a bit of extra work. But I'd follow the lines as much as I could to see where they are connecting. If they hooked up the lines improperly (it happens more often than some people think) you should be able to find the connection. I will look for a service center and a mobile tech in your area. BRB

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

You're welcome. Please stand by

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I followed lines yesterday they look routed correct as far as I could see I pulled panels and covers but I do not want to get into plumbing which should be covered under warranty as I said it looks like a tad bit more fall in the pipe may be all it needs or glue on the inside of the pipe

Mobile Tech:

https://kamperkulture.com

(530)(###) ###-####/a>

https://www.ericsmobilervrepair.com

***-***-****

Shops:

https://www.folsomlakerv.com

(916)(###) ###-####/a>

https://www.rcrvrepair.com

***-***-****

If it was leaking outside of the coach, that would point us in a few different directions for some idea of that. If a pipe was running perfectly level with the sink & shower at a level in the tank that is wrong, then I could see that also as an issue where the water isn't getting low enough into a tank.

Since it is under warranty, you might have better luck with the shops. A lot of us mobile techs will do warranty work, but have a bit of a different way of billing.

Is there anything else I can assist you with this evening?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

This is R**** son we are camped right next herthe shower backs up it will drain

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not even a gallon comes out like this tank is empty and registers empty for some reason it's not getting flow to the tankI can't leave this hose like this we aren't the only ones camping here

Does it seem like the sink and shower are just connected together?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe??

What about the sink on the opposite side of the shower, the bathroom one?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I left a voicemail for the service guy

Hopefully the will call you back first thing in the morning. Might be tuesday with the holiday weekend.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure on that one but the kitchen for sure.I know. Bummer!'

If you can, lets test that. Run water on the toilet sink for 5 minutes (if able) and see if it goes into that gray tank or into the shower.

This being such a new rig, I haven't been in one yet. I'm looking at highlight videos to see if I can find an access port under the shower from inside the rig. If its not in there, its definitely under the coach. I could see that they are interconnected as most of the gray systems are. If the main drain line to the gray tank for that connection is clogged, that would answer it. I'd look for the union connection under the coach. I'm a little peeved that this wasn't caught on the PDI by the dealership accepting the rig.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The bathroom sink drains fine
But it appears to be the kitchen sink.Yea me too. They were supposed to have checked all the systems

Ok. So the fix is going to be digging into the gray tank line from the kitchen sink, to the shower, and then to the gray tank. Those two lines specifically. I'd also check to see if the line from the toilet sink is somehow separated.

I have had more calls out to a brand new rig on a first run than I would like to mention because of a failed PDI on the dealership part. Its a cyclic thing, get em and sell em as fast as possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah I've heard that new is the worst for this

It can be but the good news is that it can be fixed! So there is a win in it and she won't have this problem again. I just hope that it isn't a left over rag in the pipes. Had that in a heater vent once. WOW. Is there anything else I can help y'all with? I think you're pretty much at the end of me being able to assist unless you want to start digging into some pipes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm waiting for the service guy to call me back. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome! Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. Please feel free to utilize the system again should you have any question and someone will be with you as soon as possible. I hope this gets fixed quickly for y'all and you can get back to enjoying traveling.

Brian
Brian, Certified RV Tech
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Me too