RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My norcold rv 2 way refrigerator will start but not cool,

My norcold rv 2...

My norcold rv 2 way refrigerator will start but not cool, there's no smell of amonia .. any ideas to troubleshoot this

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?

I'm going to look

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

Where do I find the model.. it's a norcold 2 way .. it's either a polar 7 or 8 series and it's in a 2019 winnebago sunstar 32ye ..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

A few days ago it did work

9/5/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Thank youWill you be able to call me verses texting

Several reasons can cause this.

Could be faulty thermistor, fans not coming on, blocked cooling unit.

Inside the box is a thermistor that is clipped to the fins, follow the wires from the part clipped on the fin and disconnect the wires, doing this will put the fridge into a full cooling cycle and the box should get very cold, you may get an alarm when you disconnect it, let the fridge run for about 6 hours with it disconnected.

You should also be hearing the fans cycle on and off on the back of the fridge, if the fans are not coming on it would be an issue.

IF the cooling unit was blocked you may not get good cooling or no cooling in the box, you can try and tap the coiling unit coils and see if that helps. These are the tubes on the back of the fridge that go back and forth from top to bottom.

Also you would want to run it on BOTH sources for at least 6 hours and see what happens, if it cools on one source and not the other then it could be something else.

Sorry I am not avalible for calls at this time. I do NOT offer phone calls the company Just Answer does for an added fee.
Robert

Service manual link below.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold_polar_n_series.pdf

I have it on gas right now but we are plugged into electric.. should I put it on auto when I disconnect that wire on the finsare you still there

Yes you can it does not matter however if you have not run the fridge on propane yet to see if the box cools I would do that.
Robert

I have done both .. I did set it back to auto and disconnected the thermistor.. when it's on electric we never hear it run but on LP we hear it.It is a norcold n8xIs that correct not to hear anything on electric

YES that is correct an AC heating element is at work and that makes no noise, a RV fridge has no moving parts like a compressor. Disconnect the thermistor and let it run for at least 6 hours. See the link for the service manual I sent as well, that may be helpful.

Robert

Should the coils get coldAlso how would the cooling unit get blocked ?

Sitting un-level can cause them to become blocked, it does not take much.

The coils on the back side of the fridge should feel nice and warm from top to bottom, no hot spots or cold spots.
Robert

by tapping them could in block themMeant unblock

It is a long shot, inside the coils is an ammonia solution, when it stops circulating or slows down you start loose cooling in the box. Sometimes tapping the coils will help get that ammonia solution inside circulating properly, no guarnaties.

Robert

If that happened how do we get it fixedWhat should I tap them with

Rubber mallet....

Normally if the cooling unit is at fault it would need to be replaced.

What I might consider is having a mobile RV tech come diagnose this for you, it will be one hour of labor. I would google RV mobile repair and the zip code you are at, normally you will get a listing of who is in the area. I used to do RV mobile repair in Oregon and would cover a 100 mile radius.

Robert

are you saying the whole refrigerator would have to be replaced.. or the cooling unit

The cooling unit but it cost over 1/2 of what a new fridge would and the labor is more, to swap the fridge out would be 1.5 hours, to change the cooling unit around 3 hours of labor. Best to have a RV tech hands on diagnose this for you.

Robert

Thank you so much for your!!! Have a great rest of the weekend!!!How do I not get any additional charges on my CC besides the $5 charge

I have nothing to do with the billing or know your arrangements with the company Just Answer. Below is a link for customer service, they can assist you on that end.

Robert

https://www.justanswer.com/help/contact-us

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Ok .. thank you so much for all your help!!! Have a great rest of the weekend !!!

Thanks!

Robert