RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Dometic fridge showing E4 error dc out of range. Is not a v…

Dometic fridge showing E4...

Dometic fridge showing E4 error dc out of range

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

Is not a v Csr

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2011 forest river Georgetown classA

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked voltage from battery at 13v

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tried with shore power, generator power and disconnected all with same result. It has also thrown anE3

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/5/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Ok I am here...

What is the model number of the Dometic?

I might also check the DC supply at the back of the fridge, on the Dometics you will normally have a small plastic terminal block that the wires go into and screws are used to secure the wires, make sure you have the same DC voltage on each side of the plastic terminal block. IF the DC voltage is good going into the circuit board check all the connections on the board, unplug everything and plug back in. Sometimes if you take all the DC power away from the board it can reset it. Beyond that it could be a faulty circuit board, this is the board under the outside access panel.
Robert

My term block cover hits my outlets i can in unplug the fridge right?
Does that cover come off completely?

YES the fridge uses DC battery power to turn on and work so you can unplug the AC cord from the outlet. One is probably the ice maker and one is the fridge, the fridge will still be powered when you disconnect them. Yes the cover comes off the board, prior to the board you should have a plastic terminal block where the DC supply wires are coming from the RV, they normally have screws holding the wires in the block.

Robert

What colors are the DC wires? Green yellow and blue?
Ok I had to demount the whole board but I got the cover open. Where do I check the DC voltages at

Please allow me several mins, we are very busy due to the holiday weekend, I need to cycle through all my customers.

Robert

Ok

On the terminal block to the left is positive and right next to that is negative. Get a volt meter and check the voltage on the screws to and bottom the red is positive the black is negative.

13.7 at the term block

Did you check both top and bottom? IF you did I would disconnect the wires for 10 mins and then hook them back up and see if the fault goes away. Sometimes taking the DC power away from the board can reset everything.

Robert

The two I am pointing at?

YES when you disconnect them the fridge will be off and the interior light should go out.

Ok when I disconnected the green it touched the metal back plate and sparked, probly took out fuse somewhere right?

YES probably so, just leave then disconnected for a few mins then hook them back up and then check the fuses on the circuit board. Do not touch the AC fuse if the fridge is plugged in.

Robert

Yeah I found it on the main board. I won't replace the fuse until I reconnect the wires first

10-4

Robert

Ok reconnected and fuse replaced and back to 13.7 on the terms top and bottom. Should I turn on the fridge?

YES see what happens.

Still e4 and now e0 too ughNo just e4 the temp of 60I thought that was e0 lolNo just e4 the temp is 60... i thought it said e0now its not turning at all

The EO code.

No communication between display and power modules. The control system will revert to full automatic operation selecting the best energy source available with AC first and GAS being second priority. The temperature setting will be maintained at the mid position. The power module will continually attempt to reestablish operation of the display module. Test control cable between upper and lower control, control (on-off) panel and lower board, clean all grounds, and try a different DC power source. If problem still exists change lower control board.

I think at this point I might see if a mobile RV tech is in your area, I am going to provide you a link for a service manual as well, it is below. I would google RV mobile repair and the zip code you are at and see if any techs are in your area, it sounds like you possibly have a fault control board.

Robert

https://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Service%20Manual,%20RM1350.pdf

Hey and as I was moving things around I heard something click I just found that I do have a loose wire on the bottom of that terminal must be powering refrigerator I gotta try to get that 1 connected

10-4

OK was hard because it was a small where next to a bigger wire but I cranked it down tight and it's in there and now I have no error codes. Let's hope!It's on Lp setting shouldnt I hear it trying to ignite or running?

You would get a fault light on the display if it did not fire off, the flame would be at the bottom of the flue canister and you may not hear it but that area should start to get very hot.

Robert

Now e3 back. UghI plugged the plugs back in and it threw that codeNot sure if that may a difference or just coincidence.

E3 code? You have not mentioned that yet you talked about a E4 code which is it?

Now it's e3. I started earlier with e3. Then it changed to e4. Now just e3.I have reset the little button on the flue stack...It was e3 before I reached out to you, I reset that button and that seemed to go away. Then e4 showed up that's when I take it to you guys...

When you reset the thermo fuse does the code go away?

No it's still there.

You should have continuity through the disc, you could pull the wires off the disc and connect them together with a paper clip or small wire and see if the code goes away, can not leave the fridge like that just for testing.

Also follow that wire and look for a section that is wrapped in heat shrink, if you see that you may have another high temp device, it looks like a diode. Some Dometics have that as well, if you see that it should have continuity though it as well. follow the wire from the disc. \

Robert

Ok when I shorted the two e3 went away

So let me ask this is the flue hot? Where the disc is located?

Not hotI have not heard it burning at all
Do you get the pics?The sensor is 5 inches above the burner i thinkThe orange and yellow wires are the ones I took off and shorted...i heard the unit click when I shorted them but did not hear any propane ignitions

ou could see if the fridge will start with the thermo fuse bypassed. You should hear the electrode sparking when you try it on propane. IF you are plugged in and the fridge is in auto then it is going to work on AC power and you would not hear a thing, the area where the wires are going into the flue for the AC heating element will start to get hot.

I need to leave for a family function in 30 mins. I will be back later tonight if you still need help.

Robert

YES I see the wires OFF the disc, you would tie therm together.

I have ac should I just stay on that until I can get it in?

You can NOT leave that disc bypassed as it would be a safety issue. That disc is for an over temp condition and shuts the fridge down, sometimes a cooling unit issue can cause that code. IF the cooling unit ruptured or is blocked the code can come up. My feelings are if you have NO continuity through the disc and the flue is cold then the disc is at fault, I can not tell you to leave it bypassed that is up to you.

Robert

Ok maybe I can order a new disc and replace it? I have it jumped and it is warming up the flue. Sounds like a failed flu disc right?I will disconnect the jumper if you think we found the issue...I will disconnect it anyway... i meant to say if this proves your thoughts I can go ahead and disconnect it right?

AS I just told you if you do NOT have continuity through the disc and the flue canister is cold then it is the issue.

The disc is thermal meaning when it gets to a set temp it trips, the tiny button should reset it if the flue is hot then it may not reset.

From our going back and forth it sounds to me the first step is to replace it.

This has been a difficult question with all the different codes and faults coming up, I think we made great progress as the fridge will run with it bypassed.
Robert

Robert, thank you so very much!!! I agree, great progress here! Go enjoy your evening and I will take it from here. I disconnected the jumper and the fridge is off. Don't worry about that!Have a great night!! Mark

Glad I could help you on this one.

Have a great and safe Holiday weekend!

Robert

Thanks, ***** *****

Thanks!

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert, Mark here from yesterday with the fridge. Wanted to let you know that found a video last night that showed how far I had to push the flue thermal fuse to reset it. I had not pushed it far enough, it was too hardand I didn't want to break it. i pushed it harder today and it finally moved and reset! Fridge running great! Thanks again for your help you got me back online! ����

Thanks for the update!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend.

Robert