RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I bought a 2015 Rockwood a frame camper. the A192hw. Today…

Customer Question
I bought a 2015...

I bought a 2015 Rockwood a frame camper. the A192hw. Today the safe t alert detector was going off. the green light was blinking green, and red. then a loud beep, like every thirty seconds. I had had it closed. I also have an air freshener in there. The previous owner had moth balls in it, but I put them up front in the storage area. After coming home, the beeping had stopped, and the green light stayed on. What causes this?? Does something need to be replaced??

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

It was the CO light. It usually stays green all the time, but today, it was blinking green/red.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '15 RV?

2015 Rockwood A192hw aframe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had pressed this square like button on the front of the panel that says Test/Mute

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I know for now. The blinking has now stopped and no beeping, was wondering what causes this?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
9/3/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Robert

So low battery voltage can set these off, if the voltage was low the detector can start to chirp, once the voltage comes back up then it would go back to normal.

Aerosols can set these off and even dog food if it is placed directly under it.

These detectors should be replaced every 5-7 years. Inside is a sensor and when they get weak they can start giving off false alarms.

I think at this point if it stopped I would keep an eye on it and check your battery voltage, it should be above 12 volts, once the voltage gets below 11 volts or so the detector can start to go off.

Robert

Are you talking about the big battery up front?

Yes you have a house battery and the LP detector is wired into the DC system, it does not take a battery you can change out, it is hard wired to the 12 volt system.

Robert

Thank you for your help. I will go and charge the battery, and see if this helps

Sounds good.

Robert