RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

DOMETIC MODELFRIDGE WON'T WORK ON PROPANE. SAFETY VALVE IGAS…

DOMETIC MODEL*****FRIDGE WON'T WORK...

DOMETIC MODEL*****FRIDGE WON'T WORK ON PROPANE. SAFETY VALVE IGAS AT STOVE NO GAS AT IGNITER CAN BLOW THRU WITH BUTTON PUSHED

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

DOMETIC MODEL 2453 REFER WON'T WORK ON PROPANE WITH BUTTON PUSHED ON SAFETY VALVE CAN BLOW THRU. GAS AT STOVE AND MAIN LINE ON FRIDGE. NONE AT IGNITER

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

1996 ELKHORN SLIDE IN CAMPER 3 WAY REFRIGERATOR

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES NEW SAFETY VALVE CHECKED FOR PROPANE AT MAIN LINE AND AT IGNITER

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

NNO

9/2/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good afternoon! I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and typically those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thanks! Randall

thank you this is a dometic 2453 refrigerator

That sounds like it might be the igniter itself or it can be some debris in the jet or a gas valve that isn't working correctly. Start by checking the burner and cleaning the jet carefully by washing it in some lacquer thinner and blow dry with only low air pressure. Make sure that the burner is clear of bug debris inside. Check for good spark when some one working the igniter. I am adding a link to the User's Manual is you don't have one. Randall http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Dometic-Refer-Model-RM2552-Installation-User-Manual.pdf

it won't lite on LP but works on 12v and 110 I have taken all the gas line off there is spark at the igniter

If you haven't had the LP working pressure at the tank regulator checked in the last year I would do that as well. Most shops have a manometer and can do that if you take it into them.

not getting gas at the valve could it be the safety valve

It can be, but those rarely go bad. I would test the regulator first.

is there a way to check safety valve

Only by operation. If the pressure is correct and the burner is clean and the thermocouple is working then that would show you. Does the flame hold while the button is held down? Let it up and if it goes out the thermocouple is suspect and can be tested with a meter. It needs to be putting out over 20 millivolts.

i can't get it lit on lp even with a match

Is there LP TO the valve?

not where you lite it

Did you take the jet out and clean it?

Then I don't know what else to tell you except take it into the shop or have a good mobile tech come and look at it for you.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
thank you for your time