RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We’re driving through the desert and need the back AC. When…

Customer Question
We’re driving through the...

We’re driving through the desert and need the back AC. When I turned the generator on it started abs worked for a bit. But now, it won’t go on and the button blinks red three times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?

No, the RV is brand new. Brakes are not squeaking.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2020 Jayco Grayhawk

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We’re driving. We haven’t done anything.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
8/29/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good afternoon! I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and typically those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thanks! Randall

That blinking is showing that there is some kind of fault here. It can be from any number of things. A 3 blink code just says some service is needed. Start by checking the oil level. And is this an Onan 4K unit or something else?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We actually driving at the moment so can't really check the oil (we will when we stop though). Is there a typical AC unit for a 2020 Jayco Greyhawk?

It is most likely an Onan 4K model. See the attached link for what you need to do next besides checking the oil. https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Electrical/Generator/Onan%205500/Onan%20Troubleshooting%20Codes.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thanks. We'll take a further look when we stop in about 40 minutes.

You are most welcome! Please get back to me again later if you need more here. Make sure that the batteries are in good condition and full of water. Low voltage can cause this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
While I have you, if it's a low oil issue, do you know the correct replacement oil?

30 weight Chevron Delo is the best.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Greats, thanks a lot.

10-4

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's full of oil. Seems to be working well now that we're stopped. Have you heard of these generators overheating?

They can. Especially out in the desert.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, got it. Thanks!

You are most welcome!