RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 50 amp rv. have purchased a 50 amp female connector…

I have a 50 amp...
I have a 50 amp rv . have purchased a 50 amp female connector to two 30 amp male connector dog bone which will be connected to 15 amp adapters. My thought is to plug into two different circuits at the house
8/21/2020
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome to Just Answer I'm Chris aka Moose, I'm sorry you are having problems with your RV. I will do my best to help you get this resolved. If I happen to be helping another or step away during our communication, please know I will follow up as soon as I am back available/online. I try to be online for about 10+ hours a day, midday and late-night shift.

You can rob more power for a camper by using an adapter to tap into more circuits. Example:

• 30 amp and a 15 amp
  • 30 amp and a 30 amp
  • 15 amp and 15 amp
  • 15 or 20 amp and another 15 or 20 amp. Some newer homes are wired with 20 amp wiring to the outlets.

Now just because you are going to rob power from 2 different outlets, that does not mean you are going to get 30 amps. You are going to lose power from the extension cords and you have to make sure the 2 outlets you are using are on different breakers and you have to make sure nothing else in the home is on those breakers. Most homes are built using 15 amp wiring with 15 amp breakers, and that breaker often supplies many outlets and possibly some lights too. So at the outlet, you plan to use, there may not be 15 amps available to use.

The best option is to install a remote breaker box wired to your home breaker panel, then install a 50 amp RV plug in it.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer, I hope I was able to answer your question. If you need to follow up on this concern please use the reply button. If you like my answer please reply so I can mark your question complete. Moose

Thank you for your validation

You are welcome

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
I do have an additional question however I'm sorry will using those two separate 15 amp circuits work if they are ground fault circuit's

That is a tricky question. Sometimes I have seen it trip them and sometimes not. I have a 50 amp travel trailer and have only had to use the adapter a handful of times when the site only had 30 amps and I wanted more so I could run both AC units. It all depends on the age of the outlets, how they are wired, and how many amps you try to draw. GFIs have improved a lot but sometimes that means they are smarter about circuit issue detection but it also means they do not trip unless there is actual ground short. You will just have to try it. It is not going to hurt the camper.

If they did trip could a person wire in non-GFI outlet

Yes, you can wire in non-GFI plugs, but then again if you are going to go to the hassle of altering your home's wiring. You mine as well add a 50 amp plug for your camper.