RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

It keeps switching to NO COOL. Norcold, 15 years old, model…

It keeps switching to...

It keeps switching to NO COOL

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?

Norcold, 15 years old, model number coming

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold appliance? What have you tried so far?

Just today. It started when we didn't park level in the driveway and thought that was the problem. Leveled the unit and it started up. Now, it's doing it again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Serial number(###) ###-####R80080

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/19/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

In order to help you I am going to need the model number of the fridge, the model number will be on a sticker that is locate to the right hand side in the box. Most Norcold's start with the letter N and a number.

Thanks, Robert

IF you are getting the NO CO display on the control panel it means no cooling is being detected by the controls and the fridge is locked out. Sometimes when a cooling unit fails you can see this fault. A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back side of the fridge, for a blockage you may not show any symptoms at all. Most Norcold's you can reset the circuit board or a high temp sensor. In order for me to direct you some more on this I need the model number of the fridge. The model number will be on a sticker located inside the box, most Norcold's start with the letter N and a number.

Thanks. Robert

N641.3FLNo. I can't afford more expense. We will need to try this way. Model No. N641.3FL

I do not offer the phone calls, the company Just Answer does, so do not worry about that.

Please give me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Thank you

Sounds like you are getting the no cooling fault, when this happens the fridge is locked out, the only way to fix this is to try and reset the circuit board. The circuit board is under the outside access panel and it will depend on the style board you have.

One style board has a single 16 pin connector.

The other style board has a 10 and 6 pin connector and the reset is done on the 6 pin connector.

Below are two links for you that have step by step directions on how to reset the board.

Hope this points you in the right direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/reset.pdf

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/newreset.pdf

Okay, followed the reset instructions with no NO CO reply on board. Watched it all night with no error codes but will not coool more than 55 degrees, even with turning up the dial. The freezer seemed to work with frozen ice cubes and now starting to warm up a bit. NEXT???

So you could have a blocked cooling unit, the reason being is it can throw that NO CO code another symptom of a cooling unit issue is poor cooling on BOTH LP and AC power. The freezer will always get cold long before the box has a chance to so very possible to have a cooling unit issue with the freezer working. IF the cooling unit was blocked the NO CO code can appear. I would try to run it on both sources and see if it cools one one source and not the other. IF you have the same results the cooling unit is suspect. Sometimes tapping the coils with a rubber mallet or pulling the fridge and flipping it end over end and letting it stand upright level for about 12 hours might help, more times then not the cooling unit needs to be replaced.

Outside chance the door seals or thermistor is the issue or if your model has fans on the back of the fridge, if they were not coming on it would be a problem, if you had them you would hear them cycling on and off.

Robert

Do you have a recommended source for a new unit?
Can the cooling unit be repaired/replaced, or would we need to replace the whole thing?

A cooling unit cost 1/2 of what a new fridge will, the labor is also more to replace the cooling unit, in the shop it is about 3.5 hours to replace the cooling unit vs 1.5 hours replacing it, many owners opt for a new one.

We do not sell parts on this site, I would get the model and serial number and call a local RV store and they can give you pricing on both. The cooling units are expensive.

Robert

The units are not even available until late October. So, here we sit, no work because of China flu crap and can't even camp. Oh, happy day!

You could try to disconnect the thermistor and run the fridge for a few hours and see what happens, when that is disconnected the fridge should run on a full cooling cycle, the connector is inside the box and shares the some connector with the light. About the only thing I can think of that you can try, also tap the coils on the back of the fridge with a rubber mallet these are the tubes above the boiler vessel that run back and forth on the back of the fridge.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic