RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our dometic frig is not cooling....turned on the electricity…

Customer Question
Our dometic frig is...

Our dometic frig is not cooling....turned on the electricity la st night to cook it down...both lights came one (showing it was on and checking) , the check light went off but this morning both lights were back on again and it’s still room temp.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Above the frig next to the on/off switch....there’s a gas button and an electric button...we have the electric button on...just to the right of it the button says check

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2019 passport hybrid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passport yourself? What have you tried so far?

We’ve turned it off...let it set for 10 min and tried turning on again. It’s just started this...we has it camping the end of July and it was working fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s all I can think of

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
8/18/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the model number of the Dometic?

Thanks. Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looking for itDm2652

OK

Please allow me several mins to type a response, lots to cover.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do

When you are plugged into power and in auto the fridge will always want to work on AC power, if you loose the AC power the fridge will default to propane, if the fridge fails to light off on propane only then will the check light come on telling you it failed to light off.

So if you are plugged into power and the fridge defaulted to propane I would check the outlet the fridge is plugged into, the fridge needs DC voltage to turn on meaning if the outlet did not have power it would turn on and default to propane. IF the outlet is good then I would leave it unplugged and remove the cover on the circuit board and check the fuses, one is an AC fuse and the other is a DC fuse, if the AC fuse is blown then it would default to propane.

That would be what to look for if it is defaulting to propane.

IF the check light is on then I would check the DC battery voltage make sure it is over 12.5 volts, and I would check the propane tank level, cycle the valve at the tank, shut the valve and then slowly open it back up, sometimes if the valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up, shut the valve slowly open it back up and then run the stove burner for a few mins and try the fridge again.

I would also blow out the burner tube which sits below the flue, this is a slotted tube the propane comes out of and the electrode above it lights it off.

IF the check light is NOT on and the fridge appears to be working but not cooling the box let me know, the check light should never be on and if you are in auto it means the fridge switched off of electric and did not light off on propane.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
right now there's only the"auto" light on and it seems to be starting to cool.. the question becomes.... Why did it not cool last night? The two lights ( auto and check) come on together when you first turn it on... Then the check light goes off showing it's on auto (and cooling).... It did that last night but sometime during the night both lights came on again. We tried resetting it this morning... Both lights came on, check light went off but 15 min later both were on again??? It seems to be holding at this point... But what's causing it to be inconsistent?

One thing would be low DC voltage, if the battery voltage was getting low the fridge would still turn on but may not be able to work correctly.

Could also be the circuit board, on the board is a relay that senses the AC power when you are in auto, if it does not see the AC voltage then it defaults to propane, the check light will only come on if it fails to light off on propane so this tells me you lost the AC power, it tried to light off but did not and then the check light come on.

IF this happens again I might plug the fridge into an outside source with an extension cord and then check the DC voltage at the back of the fridge, you will see a plastic terminal block the wires are screwed into. That is for starters.

IF something comes up today please let me know I will be in and out and always respond when I can.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got your answer... Very helpful... Thanks... It's fixed!

Good job, glad I could help out on this.

Robert