RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold not cooling. Evaporator fans not working. 8 amp fuse…

Norcold not cooling. Evaporator...

Norcold not cooling. Evaporator fans not working. Blown 8 amp fuse on board replaced. Blown I believe from fans since smoke alarm went off in RV. Yesterday outside temp 85 and inside 78. Evaporator temp 60 from door diagnostics panel. Cooling unit is working. Need temp fix to finish two month trip before pulling frig to replace fans (if that is the problem). Can get 12vdc fan at Walmart but don’t know where to get the voltage behind frig.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

Failed 3days ago with smoke in RV. Food warm Saturday morning. Error code “no ac” on Saturday. Replaced 8 amp fuse on Sunday. Error went away. Ran on AC but no cooling on AC or LP. Evaporator temp 60

8/17/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good morning! I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and typically those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thanks! Randall

Hi Randall. I'm Bill. I'll get the Norcold paperwork

This can be caused by a number of things. One is that the fridge is not level. It has to be level to cool. It may be due to low incoming DC voltage to the controls. That can be checked using a small digital multimeter like you can find at most local hardware stores. About $20 or so and easy to use. It may be caused by a failing cooling unit. Open up the outside inspection cover on the rear of the fridge and see if there is any yellowish debris around the base of the burner area. That would be sure sign of this happening and would require that the fridge be rebuilt. Let me know the model number of this fridge and I can add a link to the correct Service Manual and direct you in some things to check and test. Randall

I am heading into my shop in a few minutes and will be offline for about 30 minutes.

The frig is in a 40 foot motor home and we are in a campground in Colorado mountains.
Norcold model 1200LRIMSSD
No yellow residue seen. I know the cooling unit is working because of the evaporator temp is below inside ambient temp. Unit is level on a pad.
DC voltage is good at 12.5 on the meter.
Again, we had smoke in the RV on Friday food warm on Saturday. Only runs on LP. Error code NO AC on Saturday replaced blown 8 amp fuse on frig board. Now runs on AC but no fan sound.

No AC means that the AC fuse might be blown or the heating elements might be burned out. Or there might not be any AC power to the board. You can test this using a small digital multimeter like you can find at most local hardware stores. About $20 or so and easy to use. I am adding a link to the Norcold Service Manual for you. See that section. Randall http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold1200.pdf

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
As mentioned, the fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and the unit now operates on AC without an error. However it doesn't cool.
No fan sound. I believe that the fan shorted out and blew the fuse.
The fan is up inside the compartment and I can't get to it until I pull the frig out of the wall. Can't do it alone in a campground. I need a temporary fix.
Can I connect a 12vdc fan inside the compartment to aim upward to evaporator?

I am sorry I didn't make it back again yesterday. Sometimes things at my shop are hectic on a Monday. I am not sure that will make a difference, but disconnect the thermistor inside the fridge and see if that helps or not. It may be defective. See that section of the manual I gave you. Let me know what happens. Randall

When you didn't get back yesterday l moved on. I have a frig guy coming to look at it at my next stop. Looks like parts availability will be a problem due to COVID.

You can still get parts. Let me know if you need help with that.

Thank you VERY much. Will let you know. Again thanks we may need fans but not sure let. BILL

10-4