RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Not getting hot water. i have a 2005 fleetwood bounder 35e…

Customer Question
Not getting hot water...

Not getting hot water. i have a 2005 fleetwood bounder 35e with Atwood water heater. the water heater comes on intermittently, stays lit for 5 mins then shuts off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

I am talking about the hot water

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am at a campsite.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just want hot water

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
8/15/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

I would go to the outside access panel and carefully pull up on the pressure relief valve and see if the water in the tank is hot or you have steam.

IF the water is hot you want to make sure the bypass for the water heater is in the proper position. Some water heaters the valves are directly behind the outside access panel meaning you have to go inside the RV and pull a false panel or some drawers. Many have a hot. cold and bypass the hot and cold valves should be opened or valve handle running with the pipe and the bypass closed or valve handle against the tank. IF it is not a bypass issue then it could be a check valve, the check valve screws directly into the tank and when the spring and disc fall out it blocks the flow of hot water, below is a link for a picture, it screws directly into the tank and then the lines from the RV hook up to it. The check valve can be plastic or brass and have tiny arrows on it for direction of flow. Again this all applies if the water in the tank is hot.

IF the water in the tank is NOT hot locate the circuit board under the outside access panel and pull the connector on the board clean the contacts on the board with a pencil eraser, sometimes this can be a weak link. I then would start by replacing the T-stat and ECO they are small discs that sit on the tank and come as a kit. They have a foam piece over them under the outside access.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

i figured the water heater issue out, but i have another question on hook up to water at a camp ground

I have to do a call with another RV owner as I cycle through the questions I am working on, it will be a bit before I get back to you, please tell me the issue with the water and I will respond back when I can.

Robert

when i at a camp site with hookups. do i keep the water supply constantly on with the lever turned to fill tank at all time

NO when hooked up to city water move the lever to the other position, make sure the water pump switch is OFF.

When on city water the pump can be off and should NOT be set to tank fill if you leave it like that the tank would over fill and then come out the vent for the tank.

Robert