RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

N621 fridge display will come on but fridge or freezer will…

Customer Question
N621 fridge display will...

N621 fridge display will come on but fridge or freezer will not get cold. Will turn on and off and can adjust but fridge won’t work. Getting power to fridge(120v) and power to board(12-13dc) and thermistor ohms out at 7-8 ohms.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?

Norcold N621. Not sure of age

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

Just bought Motorhome 2 days ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

You

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/14/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Thanks

This may not be good news as it sounds like the cooling unit is the issue if it will not cool on BOTH LP and electric.

Inside the cooling unit is an ammonia solution and it always needs to be circulating to cool the fridge, when it stops circulating or leaks out you get no cooling. For a rupture you would smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. For a blockage no symptoms at all but NO cooling on BOTH sources, if it cools one source and not the other then it is not the cooling unit.

Testing the thermistor was good as well as it could have been the cause, another thing you can do is run the fridge with the thermistor disconnected for about 4 hours as when you disconnect the thermistor the fridge should go into a FULL cooling cycle.

IF the cooling unit is blocked you could try tapping on the coils with a rubber mallet or pull the fridge, flip it end over end and then let is sit upright, level for about 12 hours and see if it will start cooling again. Beyond that it would need to be replaced.

Hope this helps. Robert

That's good information. Thank you!
I just bought the Motorhome and if I remember right the lady said she purchased the fridge from a wrecked camper. The fridge isn't damaged anywhere that I can see but who knows. I will try unhooking the thermistor,tapping the coils. I haven't tried it on propane yet. If it works on propane and not A/C would that be a board issue?

IF it works on propane then I would ohm out the AC heating element, if it ohms out good and the board is not passing voltage to the element then the board is bad.

Robert

Thanks buddy. If I can put some propane in it I will try that. Heck I might just buy a dorm fridge to put in its place.

Understand and that would be fine to do if you are not doing allot of dry camping, a RV fridge uses DC power (battery) to operate even the AC side needs the DC voltage to run the board, a dorm style fridge would only work when you are plugged into power.

Have a great weekend! Robert

sir that's only down fall. We do a lot of mud racing and normally have to run generator the whole weekend which would run the everything.
Do you happen know anything about Onan 4000 micro quite Generators? I know I have to replace the starter solenoid to start with but it's been sitting for about 2 yrs and hasn't been cranked.

I only know enough to get me in trouble with the generators, also we answer per issue.

IF it has been sitting that long plan on replacing the carb as when they sit for that long normally the carb will varnish and no amount of cleaning will get them working. I would also check all you lines from the generator to the tank and make sure they are not cracked or brittle or the generator can suck air, that would be if this is a gas unit. May want to open a new question in the small engine section on Just Answer and ask for Hank.

Robert

Understood. I appreciate your help!
Scott

No problem at all.

Robert