RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Norcold N611 refrigerator in my 2004 RV. I need to…

Customer Question
I have a Norcold...

I have a Norcold N611 refrigerator in my 2004 RV. I need to replace the gas solenoid valve. I had to replace the circuit board earlier this year and now the refrigerator will not switch to propane use. Can you offer any suggestions that do not involve buying a new refrigerator?

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

2 months. Just replaced the main circuit board

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My serial number is(###) ###-####

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
8/10/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

the circuit board is what allows it to switch over between gas and electric, there is a relay that is part of the board.

When you are in auto the fridge should always want to work on electric, if you loose the electric then it will default to LP.

Try this with the fridge running on electric go to the outside access panel and remove it, unplug the cord from the outlet, what should happen is you should get a single click form the gas solenoid and the electrode will start to spark. IF the electrode sparks but the gas solenoid does not you have to see if the gas solenoid is getting voltage when the electrode is sparking, if you have voltage then the solenoid is suspect, if you have no voltage the board is not sending it, if the electrode is also not sparking and no click from the solenoid it sounds like the board. Verify the DC voltage going into the board make sure it is over 12 volts, then set your meter to the AC scale and make sure you have 0 AC volts on the DC supply, sometimes a power converter can put out AC ripple and the board does not like it.

We do not sell parts on this site, we try and offer troubleshooting and the best possible direction. IF you are sure the gas solenoid valve is faulty I would call a local RV store with the model and serial number and they can get you one coming.

Robert

Thanks

No problem, just want to be sure you are replacing the proper part on this as when you troubleshoot it is a process of elimination.

IF you do need more help on this please let me know, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert