RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The Norcold refrigerator light is on but is not cooling. A…

The Norcold refrigerator light...

The Norcold refrigerator light is on but is not cooling

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

A little light that says on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2017 Reflection 337rls

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Read instructions on door to start

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/6/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Do you happen to have the model of the Norcold? should be a sticker inside the box.

Have you tried running it on both electric and propane for at least 4 hours on each source? If so do you have the same problem with no cooling?

Thanks, Robert

1210

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Electric yes...tried propane but not for 4 hoursOkay

When you diagnose the fridge you have to run it on both sources for at least 4 hours and see if you get cooling on one source and not the other. I just got your comment about not the four hours on propane so go ahead and run it and see what happens.

IF you still get NO cooling it could be the thermistor or cooling unit or the fans are not cycling on and off on the back of the fridge.

You should hear the fans cycling on and off if they are not it can not move the hot air the fridge is putting out and would be a problem/

IF you look in the back of the box on a fin you will see a thermistor clipped to the fin, the wires go to the connector for the light, what you can do is disconnect the connector and let the fridge run for 4 hours, when you disconnect it the fridge should go into a full cooling cycle, if the box gets cold I would replace it.

Also possible you have a cooling unit issue, inside is an ammonia solution and it always needs to be circulating when it stops circulating is referred to as a blockage, you could try tapping the cooling unit coils on the back of the fridge with a rubber mallet and let the fridge run for another 4 hours, no guaranty in doing that, more times then not the cooling unit needs to be replaced, make sure the fridge is also level.

Hope this helps. Robert

What if I tried to run it undeveloped?Not level

Then the cooling unit can get blocked, the fridge always needs to be level for the ammonia solution inside the cooling unit to circulate properly, once a cooling unit gets blocked it is hard to cure, tapping the coils or pull the fridge and flipping it a few times and letting it stand upright level for 12 hours may help as well but no guaranties.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thank you

No problem at all.

Robert