RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Norcold N611 fridge did the 5 light flash error code and…

Customer Question
My Norcold N611 fridge...

My Norcold N611 fridge did the 5 green light flash error code and the board was reset and then it did it again and I replaced the board, the fridge ran for a day no problem and was cold but then it through it again and I reset it once. I tested the thermistor and its functioning and there doesn't seem to be any leaks of ammonia so Im not sure what to do next.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?

Yes, thats why I replaced the board because I did the hard reset twice on one and I've done it once on the new one.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Winnie/View 23J/2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Boy I hate these auto replies when I already took the time to write this out the 1st time... Myself

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
7/31/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

What I would do is locate the 12 VDC and GND terminals going in to the circuit board and set your meter to the AC scale and make sure you have 0 AC volts on the terminals, sometimes a power converter can put out dirty voltage or AC ripple and the board does not like it, this check normally gets missed.

I suspect something can be going on with the cooling unit, when you get this fault no cooling is being detected be the controls. Most times when it keeps tripping the cooling unit is not circulating the ammonia solution properly and the back of the fridge starts to heat up. You could try a small fan on the back side of the fridge pointing upwards, if that does not help I would pull the fridge, flip it end over end and then let is stand upright, level for about 12 hours and see if that helps the issue.

Hope this helps. Robert

Should I be hooked up to ac and have that on to do the testAlso where is the positive and negative on the board?

The board is marked 12VDC and GND

When you do the test just make sure the RV is plugged into power, does not matter if it is running on AC or propane.

Below is a link for a service manual, it may help out.
Robert

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Norcold-Refrigerator-NXXXXX-Service-Manual-Publication-Number-619394E.pdf

For to catch stray ac I need to have ac on in the rig in general?

YES that is correct, I am not sure if you are plugged in all the time or the issue is happening with the RV unplugged from power. You always want to make sure you have over 12 volts DC unplugged and then plugged in you should have close to 13 volts DC and 0 AC volts.

0 volts ac and 12.75 dcWith ac powered on.next is ventilation the flip the fridge flip the fridge end over end to see if that gets the ammonia flowing. Then replace fridge? Haha

This sounds like the cooling unit, might want to try a fan on the back side of the fridge to see if it helps and then pull the fridge and flip it end over end and then let it sit level 12 hours and try again. This fault is normally caused by a faulty cooling unit, my only reservation on this is you say it cools and normally that is not the case, almost could be the optical display if you replaced the board, hard call to make.

Board was already replaced...

Understand the board was replaced, you have a circuit board under the outside access and the optical display which is the control panel that is flashing the code.

Ah so the board on the front of the fridge could need to be replaced?Is there a limited amount of times I can hard reset the board behind the fridge? The previous owner said you can only reset it hard once.

The only thing that has me thinking that is your box is still getting cold, normally when a cooling unit is blocked you loose cooling in the box.

I have not heard that on the reset, what would happen is the code would not go away at all when you reset.

Ah okay so it's probably truewhen I replaced the board after doing a hard reset on it twice the fridge and it would run fine but once the code flashed after a day it wont run at all. So I dont think it would be the fan issue because it womt run at all unless its hard reset.

I was suggesting if the cooling unit was overheating a small fan may help.

Robert

Right, so I guess it's not that since it wont run period. It hasn't run for a month so it's not hot from that right now. And since it does run after a hard reset it probably doesnt need to be flipped since it ran fine between hard reset.maybe the board on the front with the flashing light.

Just to be clear on this the reset you did was with a jumper wire at the circuit board under the access panel correct?

Correct

OK.... I have not heard that you can only do that reset only one time. I might try the display next.