RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2016 navion 24j Winnebago rv. I’ve read online that…

Hello, i have a 2016...
Hello, i have a 2016 navion 24j Winnebago rv.I’ve read online that you can run the generator while driving to power the roof ac unit... is this the only way to turn on the ac unit in the back of the rv without full power?
7/24/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Yes... The only way you can run the roof AC unit is with the generator when you are not plugged into power. You may have an inverter but it only powers a few outlets, TV and microwave since the AC unit pulls so many amps it is not wired through the inverter so the generator would need to be running to allow the AC unit to work.

Make sure you always have over a 1/4 tank of gas or the generator will shut down so you do not run out the fuel for the engine.

Hope this helps.

Robert

That does help but I’m curious my wife said that she researched people were turning on the generator while driving?that sounds like a dangerous thing to do can you add some clarity there

It is not dangerous, you just need to shut it off before you refuel as you do not want a heat source present. No other way to run the AC unit without it going.

Robert

But isn’t that really loud .... driving down a highway with a generator running?

No not really, RV owners do it all the time.

Robert

Ok thank you very much. Is there any other safety measures we should take?

No just turn off the AC unit before you shut the generator down and never, ever plug the RV into power while the generator is running.

Have a great weekend.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Awesome thanks

No problem at all.

Robert