RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have A NOCOLD 1201, the freezer works fine but the fridge…

I have A NOCOLD...

I have A NOCOLD 1201 , the freezer works fine but the fridge does not work at all

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your Norcold freezer?

5 years , its in a 2015 redwood 5th

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold freezer? What have you tried so far?

The unit worked fine on June 3rd when put into storage , and now today does not work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I notice that small black box behind the out side cover does not have the red light lit, that box was replace about a year or so ago

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/24/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

The recall sensor would only be an issue if the red light is ON.

For this problem with the freezer working and not the box sounds like the cooling unit, fans not coming on or thermistor.

IF you have a volt meter you can ohm out the thermistor to make sure it is good, below is a link for a service manual see page 17. IF you do not have a volt meter you can disconnect it and let the fridge run for about 4 hours and see if the box gets cold, doing this puts the fridge into a full cooling cycle.

Verify the fans are cycling on and off, page 31 of the service manual goes into details on the fans.

Finally if you get NO cooling on both LP and AC power in the box the cooling unit is suspect. The freezer will always get cold long before the box has a chance to so it is VERY possible to have a cooling unit problem with the freezer working. When a cooling unit becomes blocked it normally has to be replaced, make sure the fridge is level and you may want to try tapping on the cooling unit coils with a rubber mallet to see if it helps to get the ammonia solution circulating again.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Link.

https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/SM_1200-Series_618968C_022707.pdf

You may have the wrong person, my name is ***** ***** the issue is on my Norcold 1210 , the fridge does not seen to be cooling at start up after a few hours but the freezer does.Sorry got your message will give thst a try, thanks for your help.

No problem at all.

IF you need more help please let me know, I am around daily and respond when I can.
Robert

I have viewed your answer and will go to the RV location today and will try what you suggested if needed, will let you know the outcome. I have the refrigerator running on LP since 2:30 pm yesterday to ensure that I gave it long enough to cool the refrigerator as Norcold suggested.

Sounds good thanks for the update.

Robert

Its all good , let it run since 230 pm yesterday on LP as Norcold suggested working fine down to 40 degrees this morning , 13 in the freezer.
Thanks for you help

Glad I could help some.
Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic