RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Dometic brisk II compressor shuts off.. changed the top ac…

Dometic brisk II compressor...

Dometic brisk II compressor shuts off.. changed the top ac unti, still happens one unt..could it be ram

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

Changed the entire AC it happens on the new one.. could it be a relay box issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ram?

Typo..sry... meant to say relay control box

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I thought it was a bad ac unit. Purchased and replaced the top unit. The new one did exactly the same thing.. compressor shuts down after a few minutes of running and sound loud for an RV AC which are normally quiet

7/23/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good morning! I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. I hope you didn't get rid of the old one yet! It would have been a good idea to have this checked out first and be sure what the source of the problem was. And yes, it can be the control box or the thermostat you have now. It might be a low AC or DC voltage issue as both are needed to make this work properly if you have a wall mounted thermostat. We can do some testing and find out if you have or can come up with a small digital multimeter for some testing. About $20 or so at most local hardware stores and easy to use. I need the style of your thermostat here so I can direct you further. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limits. Randall

Hi RandallI do have a multimeter and haven't gotten rid of the older unit which wasnt really manufacture date in 2017.Agree that I should have gotten it checked out 1st wouldn't be stressing it like I am now. So I really would appreciate your expertise.Where do we start

Find out what the actual AC voltage is OUT of the 20 amp breaker for the A/C. And are you hooked to a 30 amp 120 VAC or 50 amp 240 VAC power source? Any adapters or extension cords being used on the cord? And which thermostat and control board or box do you have?

Find out what the DC voltage is there between the positive and negative terminals. And what is the power source at your house? 15 amp GFCI or a regular 30 amp 120 VAC RV outlet?

Are you sure that this outlet is NOT a 240 VAC dryer outlet?

Not a 240 VAC. Volts 12.60

O.K. So what is the AC voltage OUT of the breaker for the A/C there in the load center. Take the front off and measure that between the black lead out of that breaker and the white neutral buss bar.

And if that DC voltage is what you have AND you are plugged into shore power then it is too low. It should be 13.7 to 14.2 VDC and the converter or the batteries need to be tested.

I'll check the AC voltage, and will have batteries checked.If the converter is going out would there be issues with the entire electrical system?

There can be as most 12 VDC control boards won't work once the DC voltage drops below about 11.5 VDC.

Put the battery on a smart charger, bounced up to 13.0 on a 30 amp boost, now charging at 2 amps charger was saying 95%.With regards ***** ***** the voltage out from the breaker what should it read.. going to do that now

At least 115 VAC.

Thx

You are most welcome!

All checked out 124V at the breakerRelay control box?

Yes. And you have to test this when it shuts down and find out if the problem is a lack of AC voltage or DC voltage.

The reason I ask is because it's a new top unitWhat are those steps Randall?Not sure it this helps..but it seems as though I have always had issues with trying to run the AC onnthei RV with a generator. I have a 3400w champion inverter and it seems to overload it after a minute or so of running whether it was the old or new unit..

That is not a big enough generator to run an A/C unit. It has be at least a 4,000 watt unit.

Well here goes another grand.. are we sure this isn't a BOAT.. Bust Out Another Thousand

Sorry about that. You might try adding a hard start kit to the A/C unit and see if that helps. What is the actual output AC voltage OUT of this generator? It might not be high enough for some reason.

124OppsThat was at the breakerI haven't check yet.. thought it was just the AC acting up

10-4

Purchased the relay control box, replaced it..as well as new thermostat. Seems to be running alright, quieter than it did yesterday after the top unti swap out. Is there anything I should check or do. I did check my shore power, outlet comes out of garage and it share other outlets on a GFCI.. ok or bad idea to use this outletBattery charged to 13.2v

You can't really run an A/C off a 15 amp or 20 amp house breaker. You need at least a 30 amp 120 VAC plug and breaker there.

Will have an electrician come out and install one thanks.

Good idea! Make SURE he understands that it is NOT 240 VAC!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
30 amp 120 VAC.. got it thanks for your help.Relieved... its fix and will get the 30 amp 120 VaC installed next week

You are most welcome! Glad we got that sorted out for you. Have a good evening.