RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold 2118 4 years old after defrosting freezer section…

Hi, Norcold 2118 4...

Hi, Norcold 2118 4 years old after defrosting freezer section refrigerator at 50-54F and freezer at 18-20F. before doing the defrost temperatures were 32-37F refrigerator and 12-18F freeezer. RV level and not moved in 3 years, we are fulltimers

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

This is a Norcold refrigerator model 2118

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Grand Design Momentum 397TH 2016

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes DIY

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Checked fans, fuses, changed thermistor

7/22/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Seems like you did all the proper steps for a poor cooling condition.

Normally you want to run the fridge on BOTH LP and AC power for at least 6 hours on each source to see if it cools on one source and not the other.

Typically if you get poor cooling on both sources it can be the thermistor, door seals, fan or the cooling unit may be partially blocked.

Good you replaced the thermistor and checked the fans, I would check your door seals next, get a dollar bill and shut it between the seals it should not want to fall in any areas and have slight resistance, if you had gaps in the seals warm air can get inside the box and the fridge would never cool to it's potential.

It is possible the cooling unit is partially blocked if you get no cooling on both sources, get a rubber mallet and try tapping the cooling unit coils the best you can and see if that helps, I may also try a small fan on the back of the fridge pointing upwards to see if that helps out at all.
Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
tried running overnight on propane, otherwise on AC, holds same temperatures on both. Checked door seals, no leaks. It is cooling, freezer at 20F and refrigerator at 50F while outside ranges from 75 to 95F. I have used a small fan in the frig section for years. Is that the inside the refrigerator section fins to hit with the malette and why?

Inside the cooling unit is an ammonia solution and it needs to circulate properly for the box to cool when the circulation slows down or stops you can loose cooling in the box. The cooling unit are the coils that go back and forth on the back of the fridge, not the fins. Try tapping them with a rubber mallet as sometimes that can get the ammonia solution circulating properly again. Many times this happens when a fridge is not level but can still happen level. This fridge is pretty smart and has codes for allot of components. IF you need a service manual please let me know.

You also might want to consider having a mobile RV tech come to you and have a look.

Robert

I am extremely surprised. I tried banging the pipes, gently once each day for three days. The refrigerator is now working better than it has in the 4 years we have been using it.
Thanks

Good job! Sometimes this is not always the case but I am extremely happy it worked for you!

Have a great evening!

Robert