RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I bought a travel trailer used and the previous owner cut…

Customer Question
I bought a travel...

I bought a travel trailer used and the previous owner cut the water lines and removed the freshwater holding tank. I think I’ve figured out how to install a new tank, but I don’t know how to bypass the water tank with the city water line.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2006 Wildwood RT travel trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes - I haven’t started yet; just researching how to proceed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They seem to be fine.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
7/21/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Okay

Good afternoon! I have and RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. I can tell you that basically the city water line with the check valve has to come into a "T" there AFTER the pump in the cold water line. The pump acts as a check valve so that on city water the water doesn't go back into the water tank and overflow. Make sense? I hope that proves helpful here. Randall

the city water line never goes into the water tank?

No.

This is what I was left with. I'm assuming the city water line will come to a T prior to going into the pex line in the floor?

The water tank has to have a fill line from some source. And a feed line and a drain.

Do you know of any diagrams that would show the connections?

If you can find some. I don't know of any.

What is a feed line? Would that be the line that connects it to the water systems in the trailer? There is a fresh water connection that I will be using to fill the tank.

One is the gravity fill line to the tank and the other goes directly into the cold water side. Where it T's off one side goes to the pump and the other side goes to the cold water feed for the coach.

the larger pipe is the gravity fill line and the blue pipe will hook into the cold water side. (Right now it doesn't go anywhere.) What is the third line for? Is that just to get rid of air/overflow?
Or is that another fill line from a pressurized water source?

The braided line if the tank vent.

Plus a drain from the water tank?

Good job!

And yes, have a drain.

Okay, I'm feeling a little more confident with this! Thank you! It looks like there's also a spigot on the trailer. I'm assuming that line would just come directly from the water tank?
Just to confirm, the only way to fill my freshwater tank is through the gravity fill line?

That is not stock and is supposed to be the drain valve.

Oh. I assumed the drain valve just went through the hole in the floor.

No. It was attached to the side wall of the trailer where he put that.

Okay, perfect. That's the only pex line that wasn't cut on the inside.

Great!