RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Refrigerator cooling issues. 2019 Lance 2185 Self diagnosing…

Refrigerator cooling issues Mechanic's...

Refrigerator cooling issues

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2019 Lance 2185 Self diagnosing Haven’t tried any fixes yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself. It is cooling but not as efficiently as I would have thought

7/21/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Okay. Do I do this via text?

Good evening! I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. The first thing to do is be sure that the fridge is level. If not, turn it off and allow it to cool and then level it up and restart it. And open up the outside inspection cover and take a look around the burner area and tell me if you see any yellowish debris there which would be a sign of cooling unit failure. It happens. It would help here if I have the make and model of this fridge so I can provide a link to the right Service Manual and direct you in some testing to sort this out. Randall

I am going to take a short break here for dinner and then I will return.

Hi Randall. Yes, I'm familiar with the units and have made sure it's level each time. I don't see anything out of the ordinary when I open the exterior access. The unit is cooling (currently 34F) but when camping in Florida sun, I can't seem to keep it under 40F even after keeping it closed all night.It is a Dometic DMC 702 installed in a 2019 Lance 2185. There is a small (~3-4") fan I can see installed at the top of the tubes but it hasn't been running at all. We bought the camper used about 4 months ago.I have also tried it on both electric and LP but with the same results.

Not bad by most standards this time of year. Keep that side out of the sun and that will help.

there may be nothing wrong and that's the best it can do in the heat? I assume that fan should be running though.Lance tells me the fan is a Dometic item but I can't find any documentation on it and how it's wired and if it's on a thermostat. Is there any way to find this out?Dometic has not replied at all to me.No problem re: dinner. Just message when you return.

Yes, it should. And that is a Dometic part. I don't have that part number here at home, but can see if I can find it online.

Are they typically on a thermostat? How is the fan serviced/replaced? I have to pull the refrigerator it appears ?Also, so if it is cooling down to 34F when it's ~80F ambient then I can assume it's all functioning correct? And it's just having a hard time in extreme heat with some usage during camping (we know to keep opening to a minimum).

Yes. They operate on a thermal disc, but you can put a manual switch on them as well https://www.dometic.com/en/se/products/food-and-beverage/refrigerators/accessories/dometic-ar-vkit-_-31166

Ok. If it's not turning on at all, I assume the thermal switch could be bad? How do I find out where it is on my unit? And do I have to pull the entire unit out to get to all this (since i can't even reach my arm up enough to touch the fan) ?

It could be bad or the fuse might be blown. On the condenser fins. So yes, you have to pull it out or at least partially to get to that.

Ok. Thank you. Last question. Would it be good or bad to add a cooling fan to the lower grate itself that drew air in at the bottom?

It can help. Most are up near the condenser though to push the air though there.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Ok. Should the tubes be so hot that I burnt my arm trying to reach the fan?

Not usually. Maybe there is another issue? Is the vent clogged up where that hot air exits?

I went up on the roof and checked. Nothing out of the ordinary and I can see the roof vent when looking up from below. The roof vent was noticeably warm. Could there be another issue with gas pressure etc that could be doing that?

If it was running too lean.