RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Robert, I am considering purchasing a 2007 Country Coach.

Robert, I am considering purchasing a...
Robert,
I am considering purchasing a 2007 Country Coach. The has a 400 Cummins with 80,000 miles. What should I look out for?
7/16/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

The ISL 400 is a very good reliable engine and it is matched up with the Allison transmission, Country Coach used both the ISC and ISL engines in most applications, the ISL is the higher rater HP engine. I worked for Country Coach for several years and then Cummins Northwest.

The best built engines can have problems if routine maintenance was not preformed. Most owners would do an annual service which consisted of replacing the oil, oil filter, fuel filters, lubing the chassis, ispecting all the other fluids, belts and hoses. From my experience owners that have this service done are far less to have issues down the road.

A few things I would check with this mileage, make sure the exhaust manifold gaskets are not leaking or the manifold is cracked, you would hear a ticking noise from the engine that gets louder when you apply more load. Check the transmission output seal make sure it is not dripping fluid onto the ground after you go on a good test drive.

As far as models for Country Coach the Inspire was the entry line model they made and I might stay away from them, I do not think they had the ISL 400 they used CAT engines in allot of the Inspires. The other models are all good.

IF a shop is selling they should do a Pre-Delivery Inspection or PDI which covers the chassis to the roof. IF a private seller is selling I might consider hiring a mobile RV tech to come do an inspection, it will take about 2-3 hours.

The bad part is Country Coach just went out of business last month. Winnebago was propping them up with a service center in Orgeon but they pulled the plug on that so that means no support or parts through them anymore.

Robert

model is an Allure and is in perfect condition, current owner is a diesel mechanic and has all service up to date. Was wondering at what point should miles be a concern?

IF the engine has been taken care off it can last forever, probably 200K if well maintained. You might want to ask him for the engine serial number and then call a Cummins Coach Care and see if any bulletins need to be done.

This year was OK for the Allure, if it was a 08 or 09 then I would concerned as Country Coach production was going out of business they started to slap different chassis parts on these, trust me on that when I went back for them under Winnebago I did chassis tech support and parts and nothing was what was called for, this year you are good on that. This should be a really nice RV for you.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thanks for the info!!! 5 stars

No problem at all. Country Coach was a big part of my RV career, sad to see them finally shut the doors.

Robert

I had the inspection done and 2 items/problems were identified.
1. Generator slide out motor was weak tech said it should be replaced.
2. Tecma toilet controller or switch is bad must hold for 5 seconds to flush.
Seller is going to pay for repairs. I am thinking of negotiating into the deal and repairing back home how much could I expect to pay for such repairs.

All these parts are pretty expensive, the switch for the toilet can run 300 bucks, the board around the same if you can even get it anymore, if a new toilet is needed you are looking at 1500 with labor, 1300 plus two hours of labor, for repair you are looking at about 800.

The slide motor is also expensive if it is not obsolete. Could be 400-500 dollars plus about 2 hours of labor so 700 for repairs.

Worse case around 2K ballpark best case with around 1400. These parts can be expensive, I might meet in the middle and take 1 K off.

Robert