RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Just put new house batteries in and the couch will not fire…

Customer Question
Just put new house...

Just put new house batteries in and the couch will not fire up inside.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes tested them

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2019 lantana NEWMAR

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

40ft diesel

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/13/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Ok thanks

This sounds like a battery disconnect solenoid issue.

Go inside the RV and locate the battery disconnect switch for the house batteries and hit the switch, you should get a click away from the switch which would be the solenoid, the solenoid acts like a gate and allows the power to pass through. IF you can not locate the solenoid by sound go to the battery and follow the cables, one cable will go direct to the solenoid. Check for voltage across the solenoid on the large posts, you would check voltage to ground on each side. If only one side shows voltage get a small insulated wire and jump the large posts and see if your power comes on if so the solenoid is suspect. IF you have no voltage to the solenoid make sure your battery cables are tight and hooked up correct and no DC breakers are in-line that are tripped, if you have voltage on each side of the solenoid follow the cable out of the solenoid and make sure you do not have a tripped DC breaker, have to follow the path of power.

Robert

Did that already don't even have shore power

That is you inverter panel. The inverter charges the battery and provides AC power when you are not plugged in.

IF the battery is hooked up properly you should have all the 12 volts inside the RV.

IT would have be nice if you have a better description of the issue here. "did that already" and not saying you have AC power is a big difference.

The power is split AC power and DC power. Do you have 12 volts inside the RV or NOT? Are you plugged into power and have NO AC power? It is possible to have no DC power but have the AC power. The AC power is strictly the outlets, TV and microwave.

The batteries originals were leaking acid so I had them changed Technician put all new batteries back in. After re installing all new batteries that's when the issue came up.Why don't I have shore power

Shore power would be the outlets, TV and mcirowave.

IF they are not working unplug from power and start the generator IF you can and let me know if you have the AC power.

Robert

Nothing worksGen works

The incoming AC power has to pass through a transfer switch it allows the AC power into the RV, check the breaker on the generator, if the generator is running you should have voltage to the outlets, TV and microwave. IF the breaker is not tripped on the generator then the transfer switch is suspect as it passes the AC voltage to the breaker panel and through the inverter. You would need to check and see if voltage is getting in and out of the transfer switch, if you only have voltage coming in and nothing coming out then the transfer switch is at fault.

Still does not explain why you have no battery voltage inside the RV. Again I would locate the disconnect solenoid and verify you have 12 volts on each side of it. Possibly the batteries could be hooked up wrong if you have no voltage at the solenoid.

You may want to see if there is a RV mobile tech in your area that can help straighten this out for you.

Robert

Ok I will try that. I am usually not this dumb for a blonde. But this is kicking my butt. Lol

There may not be much you can do on this. IF anything you will have a better understanding of the possible issues.

Robert

The breaker is on the gen. Still no power.I am done. Thank you Robert. Maybe when the world goes back to normal I can get some to come out. Have a good evening.
Pat

Right so the transfer switch would be suspect, again the power is split AC power and DC power.

When plugged in or the generator is going the outlets, TV and microwave should be working.

I am afraid you may need a mobile RV tech or shop to have a look at this, nothing you are doing wrong.

Thanks I wish I could find a tech. I have call Holiday World they will not return my call. NEWMAR won't even. I just lost. Again thanks for your time.

Understand... IF I think of anything else for you to try I will let you know.

Robert

Thanks Robert

One thing you might try, it is a long shot.

Shut off all the breakers inside the RV and then go unplug from power and shut the supply breaker OFF. Locate the inverter and shut it off.

Plug back into power and then turn the supply breaker ON and then turn the breakers ON inside the RV and then restart the inverter.

Sometimes if you take all the power away from the transfer switch and re-energize it then it may cause it to un-stick. Worth a shot.

Robert

Ok didn't still nothing. The inverted not saying. Dead battery and shore power is 40Can I hook a trickle charger to the battery

You might be able to do that but if the solenoid for the disconnect was not working it would not matter. New batteries you should have DC voltage inside the RV.

maybe batteries bad? But shouldn't I have shore power?

IF you have a volt meter you can check the voltage at the batteries.

Shore power would only be the outlets, TV and microwave and if you are plugged in they should be working.

They don't work the whole bus is dead .

Understand.

Robert