RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My dometic refrigerator is not working on electric ok on…

My dometic refrigerator is...

My dometic refrigerator is not working on electric ok on propane, not getting 110 on board for heater fuse good 120 at board

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

Works fine on propane had changed board still same problem

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Trail cruiser by r-vision 2008 the fridge is a dometic refrigerator M#dm2652rbx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ohm heater 43.3 ohms check for short to ground ,have 120 to board no power on heater outputs ,fuse is good changed board same problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am a retired technician

7/9/2020
RV Mechanic: Brian, Certified RV Tech replied 2 years ago
Brian
Brian, Certified RV Tech

Hello and thank you for reaching out on JustAnswer.com. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to assist you today. Did you check for 120 VAC out of the outlet in the compartment?

Hi Brian yes I did and at the board

Excellent! I know these questions might annoy you since you're a retired tech but I'm going to go straight down the list with you so please bare with me.

1. Power come out of power cable before it goes to the board?

2. Power goes to board (You answered yes in your initial response so i'm just confirming)

3. You changed the board out to a new one, and checked the fuse already for continuity and know it's good?

4. Do any of the AC connectors look melted?

5. How does the ground connection look?

Connectors are good checked continuity on them ground cleaned and checked fuse good power at board

So power isn't going from input to output on the board is essentially the issue?

Dinosaur board or OEM?

Oem

Ok. One minute. BRB.

Just re-read the book and the troubleshooting tree:

If the refrigerator is not functioning on 120 VAC, check the 120 VAC input to the refrigerator at the AC terminals

where the power cord connects to the refrigerator. The required voltage is 120 VAC ± 10 percent (108 to 132V). If no 120 VAC is present, diagnose and repair the fault.

Disconnect the 120 VAC cord from the receptacle, and remove the circuit board cover. Check the condition

of the AC fuse.

NOTE: If a fuse is open, do not replace it until the cause has been determined. An open fuse indicates a short or faulty component. It is possible to have a faulty fuse that has not blown but is open. Faulty fuse holders can be a cause.

If no 120 VAC is present at the fuse, verify the condition of the heating element(s) If the heating elements check okay, replace the circuit board.

Done all this but no output to heater from boardWhat tells the relay on board to close ,again it works on lp

The input from the eyebrow telling it to go to AC via that connection on the top left of the board. Is that connection corroded/burnt/dirty?

Have you already gone into the eyebrow and looked at that board up top?

Haven't checked it since I started and I believe you are talking about the bord inside at top

Yep, the one in there with the on/off selector is inside the rig

pulled of the connector reinserted

The connector you just talked about, that the one at the control board outside?

At the eyebrow board

Any change?

NoKicks in for gas till lock out (gas off ) still no power to heaterI have it set to automatic

I don't like saying this but things are pointing to a bad board. Would you like me to put this issue back up into the que for another tech to look at and answer?

On question for ac does the camper have to be perfectly level I never had a problem till now where it is sitting and it works on propane

The fridge should always be as level as possible and with comfort of the passengers. That's for the fridge itself as a unit and the AC power doesn't really relate to that. The level is more about the movement of the liquid inside to go through its process and changing of state.

Ok thanks let's try another tech if no charge thanks for your assistance Brian

You're welcome. Hope to hear that it gets fixed for you.

Thanks
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good morning! I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. So if you have good 120 VAC at the receptacle for the AC at the fridge AND you have 120 VAC to and through the AC fuse on the board AND no AC power to the heating element then the board is defective. Make sure you test this under load! It can give a good AC voltage with a meter and open up under load. IF it does, then a breaker or relay is opening up. Check this and let me know. See the attached link for the Service Manual for this model. Print it out so you have it. RAndall http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Dometic-Refrigerator-Diagnostic-Service-Manual-RM2852.pdf

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification