RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I replaced my house batteries and was careful label each of…

Customer Question
I replaced my house...

I replaced my house batteries and was careful label each of the cables. I have 6 house batteries easy 6v in series to create 12v and then connected in parallel. My inverter shows a fault and I can’t figure out why. Do I need to reset my inverter?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

It is not leaking and the volt meter says it’s good.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2012 Fleetwood Expedition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes trying to trouble shoot it first as it was working ok before but my batteries werrr old and not keeping a charge. I’ve switched the Magnum internet leads to see if that did anything but it did not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Shore power is working fine.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
7/6/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good morning! I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living. What is the fault that your inverter shows? I am adding a link to some wiring diagrams for batteries that might be helpful. http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/michaelreush/4fdbd948-7abc-4d6f-a10a-f7f11fa428fe_02+revolution+wiring.pdf

There is nothing on the displays. The light in the inverter is blinking.

Take a multimeter and check the DC voltage OUT of the batteries and follow that to the inverters. Double check the polarity.

I'm am getting 6.25 volts out of each battery and 12.5 volts out of each series and also checked polarity. I don't know where to check the voltage going into the inverter. Do I need to take red and black cover off?

Check the voltage OUT of the whole battery system to the coach and through the DC fuse and to the inverters.

I'm getting 14.35v going into the inverter. Checked polarity too and is fine. Inverter seems to be working now. Not sure what change. Checked recepticals in coach and am getting 120v ac.

Great!