RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I dont have a manual for my fridge. The freezer is cool but…

Hi, I dont have...

Hi, I dont have a manual for my fridge. The freezer is cool but the fridge is not.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2018 Rockwood Signature

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, just trying to get it ready to go tomorrow night.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Does this cost money?

7/3/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Ok

So what you would want to do is run it on BOTH sources for at least 6 hours and see if it cools on one source and not the other, it is important when diagnosing.

IF the box does not cool on BOTH sources it could be a cooling unit issue, thermistor or some models have fans that cycle on and off.

A cooling unit can fail even with the freezer working, the freezer will always get cold long before the box has a chance to. Make sure the fridge is level, if the fridge is not level the cooling unit can become blocked, the ammonia solution inside stops circulating and you loose your cooling.

IF you can open the door and look to the right hand side of the box and tell me the make and model it should help.

Robert

OK, made by Dometic
1500 BTU/HR
440w
120V 60HZ 2.7amp
Anything else?

It is a Dometic but does not tell me the model number, most Dometic start with a DM or RM and then number.

Robert

RM3962RBX

OK

Give me a few mins I want to look up a few things on that model.

Robert

Below is service manual for you. IF you have a volt meter you can ohm out the thermistor as shown on page 12. Also it has an option for fans, if your fridge sits inside a slide room it should have the fans and you should hear them cycling on and off.

IF the thermistor is good and you get NO cooling on BOTH LP and AC power after 4-6 hours on each source it sounds like the cooling unit is the issue.

Robert

https://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Service%20Manual,%20RM3762%20&%20RM3962.pdf

Ok, thank you. Maybe I haven't had it on long enough also. I will see what I can figure out. Thank you, Vicki

No problem at all.

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend.

Robert

Thanks & same to you. I had my holiday yesterday, I'm in Canada!

Nice, I am actually taking my kids camping next week, looking forward to it!

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic