RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Jayco 2015 Jay Flight travel traler and it seems…

Customer Question
I have a Jayco...

I have a Jayco 2015 Jay Flight travel traler and it seems that the refrigerator will not work in either the AC mode or in the LP mode. It will not cool.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

No I haven't for I'm not sure how to do that. I don't know how to gain access to the back of it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '15 RV?

195RB Jay Flight SLX 15TT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SLX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to try to fix it myself. I have only tried to turn it on as to the manual operation.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
7/1/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the make and model of the fridge, should be a sticker inside the door to the right.

Thanks, Robert

NORCOLD, model # N306R

OK

Please give me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Ok

This might not be good news for you. Normally when the box does not cool on BOTH LP and AC power after 6 hours the cooling unit is suspect.

Make sure the fridge is level as that can cause the cooling unit to become blocked.

In a RV fridge you have an ammonia solution inside the cooling unit that gets heated by an AC heating element OR the gas flame, the ammonia solution is always circulating around the coils, when it stops circulating you loose the cooling. A cooling unit will cost 1/2 of what a new fridge will and the labor is more to replace i. In the shop it takes about 3 hours to replace the cooling unit vs 1.5 hours swapping the fridge out.

One thing you may want to try is to pull the fridge from the RV and then flip it a few times end over end and then let is stand level upright for about 12 hours and then see if it will start to cool no guaranties in doing that it can help sometimes get the ammonia solution moving again.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Thanks for the help I will troubleshoot it if possible

Sounds good.

Have a great 4th of July Weekend.

Robert