RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

No power in the outlets. It just went out - first time it’s…

Customer Question
No power in the...

No power in the outlets

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It just went out - first time it’s ever happened

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2015 Jayco Eagle 325bhqs

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We’re currently camping and no where near any techs so, yes, fixing ourselves all the breakers/fuses and the main breaker in the house we’re hooked up to

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it, I think

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
7/1/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Hi RandallI'll answer any questions the best I can

Good evening! I have and RV repair facility and work on these for a living. Most of the time when this happens it is either a tripped out GFCI outlet or tripped breaker in the load center for that circuit. On units that have an inverter/charger it can be a tripped breaker on that unit. If you have a 50 amp shore cord and are using any kind of adapter you are going to lose about half your circuits. Start there and then let me know what you find. Randall

I already tried resetting the only GFCI outlet I can find (in the Island in the kitchen)Not sure what the load Center for the circuit is??

There is another one in the bathroom area. The load center is where all the fuses and breakers are. Flip them off and then back on again. Any adapter being used on the cord?

Oh - I call that the fuse panel - already did all thatMy husband was outside working on something and must have figured it out because power is back nowThanks anyway

Maybe it was the breaker at the source. I would advise becoming familiar with how many watts of power you have available and how many on each circuit and don't exceed that! This isn't like your house where you have unlimited power. 6,000 watts is all. You can use that up pretty fast. A/C units on a hot day use about 2,000 each. Glad it was something simple. Have a good evening and be safe!

We've had a trailer for years now and this was the first time this has ever happened. The house we're hooked up to didn't have any blown breakers or anything - turns out the gfi outlet we were plugged into was the problem - plugged into another outlet and now it's all good. Thanks!

And yes, you can't plug an RV into a GFCI protected outlet. Never works.