RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We bought a 2009 Keystone Hideout Trailer with 2 new 6volt…

We bought a 2009...

We bought a 2009 Keystone Hideout Trailer with 2 new 6volt marine batteries. We have had constant issues with the pump and water flow. We are just getting it ready for our first trip out and the batteries aren’t holding a charge. We live in a condo so can on,y charge them with our generator. Which in the past hasn’t been an issue until these last couple of days. We

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

No we don’t have a meter. If what is leaking?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '09 RV?

Keystone Hideout

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have been using out generator mainly to try

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Our fridge works but keeps kicking off as soon as we turn off the generator even when we have it switched onto gas only.

6/24/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Without good DC battery voltage the fridge is not going to work, even though the fridge works on gas it still needs good DC battery voltage to run the circuit board. I would if at all possible have the batteries load tested to make sure they are still good, this is normally a FREE test at a local auto parts store. IF the batteries check out good I would plug the RV into a good power source and make sure the power converter is working properly, you should have over 13 volts when you plug into power.

It is possible that the batteries are draining down for some reason when the unit is sitting unplugged. Finding draws can be difficult and can be done with a 12 volt test light or amp meter to check the rate of draw. IF you would like me going into more details for testing for a draw please let me know.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
We are going to purchase a battery voltage tester and let you know.

Sounds good. I am around daily and respond when I can.

Have a great night.
Robert