RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Having trouble with my frigerator. Take 2016 keystone

Customer Question
Having trouble with my...

Having trouble with my frigerator

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Take 2016 keystone cougar

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cougar yourself? What have you tried so far?

No it's at the dealership but they don't know what's wrong with it and they don't know their ass from their elbow

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

The freezer is working really well it's just the frigerator part that I can't get down the temperature

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Do you happen to have the make and model of the fridge?

Have you or the shop tried running it on BOTH LP and AC power for at least 4-6 hours?

Robert

The model number is ***** slmx the make is dometic

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Ok they replace the cooling unit the service tech forgotten to tighten up the gas line and I guess there's something that hangs down inside the I guess it's the chimney tube that spins that supposed to do something with the heat he forgot to put that into my fridge caught fire because of the gas line that was loose I can't get the fridge to come down to temperature they fix that the freezer is at 13 below zero but the frigerator I can't get to come down to temperature

Normally when the box does not cool on LP but the freezer does it can be the cooling unit, the fans not cycling on, possibly the thermistor.

A good RV shop would ohm out the thermistor to see if it is good, some models you can disconnect it and let the fridge run so it will default on full cooling but NOT on this model.

The fans should also be verified this model has two fans and they should be kicking on and off, if the fans were not cooling it would be a problem. The fans use a small disc that senses the temp on the back of the fridge and tells the fans to come on or off.

Finally the cooling unit can be the issue. The freezer will always get cold long before the box has a chance to. So it is VERY possible the cooling unit is at fault, I have seen brand new cooling units out of the box bad or if they are not shipped properly or handled properly they can have problems. I recall once I went through 3 brand new cooling units before the fridge was repaired. Normally when a cooling unit becomes blocked it needs to be replaced, you can try tapping on the coils with a rubber mallet that sometimes will help.

That is awful about the shop I hope they are going to make this right for you.

Robert

The fans on the back of the fridge are running I know those are working I can hear those kick on and off when they replace the cooling unit they said they had the frigerator down to 32 degrees but when I pick the camper up it was not even running when I turned it on the propane I did not get nothing except a fire in the fridge they rewired refrigerator and changed some stuff on the back of it they had me plug it in and run it off electricity I stayed right there in their lot it would not cool on electricity I switched over to propane and it brought the fridge down to 35 degrees then they had me switch it over to electric and the temperature went right back up now I have it on propane and it's not even working on propane the freezer is the fridge isn't I'm just wondering is there something that tells the fridge to get cold

Yes that is the thermistor and it can be ohmed out. IF you have a volt meter I can tell you how to check that.

Robert

I do have a voltmeter but I do not know how to use it I was just a firefighter that's all I was as far as a mechanic I'm not good at that lol

I will try to explain how to test the thermistor. Please give me several mins to type a response. I need to respond to another RV owner and then I can reply back.
Robert

Ok

Disconnect the thermistor harness from the P2, 2-pin terminal on the lower circuit board. Place the thermistor in a glass of ice water (more ice than water), approximately 33° F to 35° F. Wait 8 to 10 minutes. You should get a reading of approximately 8,000 to 10,000 ohms.

One end of the thermistor sits inside the box on a back fin. The other side plugs into the circuit board under the outside access panel. unplug the fridge from the outlet and remove the cover on the board, you will see a 6 wire connector and then the a 2 wire connector the thermistor is the 2 wire connector, disconnect it and with your meter set to ohms ohm out the wires leading to the end that is in the cup of ice water.,

Normally the ohms setting on your meter is going to be an omega symbol.

Thank you

No problem at all.

I will be in and out until 11 am and then I am taking a few days off and will be available again on Wed. I plan checking in from time to time so if you need help it may be sometime before I can respond back.

Robert

Okay enjoy your time off

Thanks! Going to the Oregon coast for a few nights.

Have a great day. Robert

You too

Thanks!

Robert