RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our 30 amp fuse keeps blowing. Our trailer was plugged into…

Customer Question
Our 30 amp fuse...

Our 30 amp fuse keeps blowing. Our trailer was plugged into our house this morning and our fridge worked fine on AC mode. However, we are out camping and trying to turn it on and it won't turn on. When we tried to replace the 30 amp, I blew all 5 fuses. We are out camping and need some help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

No. We only know about the one below our fridge.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Jayco, feather light 2010 I believe.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

2005 not 10

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

We haven't tried more than replacing the fuse. We are traveling with it at the moment. It just started having this problem on the road.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
6/19/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

This almost sounds like the supply source you are plugging into might be the problem or the power converter failed. When you are plugged into power the power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage. If the incoming AC voltage had an issue then it can blow fuses. I would if at all possible plug into a different source, if you are using any adapters or extension cored they can cause issues, I would change them out or even better plug the RV in direct with no cords or adapters. IF the fuse blows right away it indicates a dead short.

What you could also try is shut all the breakers off in the main panel and then put the fuse in, if the fuse blows right away with all the breakers off then it has to be the supply coming in. IF the fuse does not blow turn the breakers on one at a time and see when the fuse blows.

Robert