RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My refrigerator is set to auto and when it tries to run on…

My refrigerator is set...

My refrigerator is set to auto and when it tries to run on AC it trips my gfi in the garage where I have the RV plugged into.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Do you know what they look like?

Is it located behind the service panel to access the fridge? The fridge lights up, but when it switched over to use the AC power it blows the fuse in the garage and I have top reset my breaker box at home. I tried to run it on the gas mode, but after 2 minutes the check light comes on?????

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

1997 fleetwood bounder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried auto, fails when it goes to AC power as it trips my house breaker. I tried it on the gas mode and it has a check light come on after 2 minutes of trying to I assume fire up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't believe so

6/19/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

That is a very large RV to be plugging into a standard 110 outlet, you can have line loss if you are going over the 15/20 amp rating of the supply, the fridge on AC power pulls a good amount of amps.

What I would do is run the generator and see if the fridge gives you any problems, if not the supply you are using could be the issue.

Normally when the breaker trips the GFI it could be the AC heating element is shorted out. What you can do is locate the AC heating element in the flue canister, follow the wires back to the circuit board and disconnect them, if the breaker does not trip the element can be ohmed out.

The fridge should still be lightning off on propane. IF it fails to light off on propane the check light would come on. The first thing to check for that is to see if you have low DC voltage caused by the supply source. OR try the generator.

IF you can get me the make and model of the fridge I can direct you some more on this. The supply to a standard 110 outlet is a concern.

Robert

I figured it might be an issue with not enough power from the House. I didn't even think about running the generator. I did try to use the gas for the fridge, but it triggers the check light on the fridge. I'll have to open it up and give it a good cleaning and try the generator as well.Are you able to answer one more question regarding the water heater on the bounder?

Yes if the burner tube on the fridge is dirty it may not want to fire off on LP.

I just don't want you chasing your tail as some RV owners with small travel trailers do this and they can even have problems, this is a big RV to be doing that, below is a link for you in-case you ever want to add a 30 amp service.

We answer PER issue if you want to open another question on the water heater I would be more then happy to assist you, please include the make and model of the water heater.

Robert

30 AMP Install. (Link below)

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Great thank you!

No Problem at all.

Robert