RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Atwood mobile heater not working, blinking red light, 1

Atwood mobile heater not...

Atwood mobile heater not working, blinking red light, 1 blink then pause, then 1 blink

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Fleetwood Tucson tent trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Fleetwood?

I think 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried wiggling all wire connectors, so when we got here camping it started right up, we turned it off, then later tried it again and blower comes on for a few minutes then shuts off and then we see the blinking red light, label on heater says that the air flow limit fault

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes were cold

6/18/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

The air flow fault could be several things.

Inside the furnace blower motor housing is a sail switch. As the fan comes up to speed it blows on a paddle for the sail switch and then when the paddle closes it makes contact with a micro switch, when this happens the voltage is passed to the circuit board and only then will the electrode start to spark.

Make sure you have good battery voltage, if the voltage was low the fan can slow down and not blow fast enough to close the sail switch.

The sail switch could be fault or there could be lint preventing it from closing all the way. The only way to know is to inspect the sail switch and see if you have continuity through it. The blower motor housing is split but if you have NO outside access the furnace would need to be pulled.

It is also possible the circuit board is the problem, it is the heart of the furnace. Most good RV shops will have a special board tester and can test the board to see if it is the issue.

IF you have not used the furnace in some time I would get an air nozzle and blow through the exhaust. Sometimes mud daubers can get in the burner and make nests, when this happens it can choke off the air flow.

Hope this points you in the right direction, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic