RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Rv has a residential fridge that was working just fine on…

Customer Question
My Rv has a...

My Rv has a residential fridge that was working just fine on shore power and all of the sudden stoped. I then turned on the travel inverter and it began working again but the batteries are not staying charged. I replace the batteries and power converter think that was the problem but no luck

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

I put brand new batteries on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2017 Salem hemisphere 36 mbl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive replaces the power converter and both batteries

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No mam

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
6/16/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Thank you

Please allow me several mins to type a response, lots to cover.

Robert

When you are plugged into power the power converter takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery.

Without the AC power the converter will not charge. Make sure when you are plugged in all the outlets, TV and microwave and fridge are working, these are strictly AC power. IF they are all working and you replaced the converter and batteries you should show over 13 volts at the battery. IF that is not happening I would look for a DC breaker near the batteries. As a general rule any DC breakers are going to be 18" from the battery, you may have more then one for other circuits. Below is a link for a picture. To test you would want to see the same voltage on each post to chassis ground. IF only one side of the breaker has voltage then it is the problem. Most have a tiny tab on the shore side of the breaker that will pop out when it trips, some are thermal and have no reset.

IF you are missing the AC power coming into the RV please let me know as we have much more to cover.
Robert

Breaker.

I have power in tvs and microwave the only thing in the camper not receiving power is fridge and converter unless I use the travel inverter then the fridge works but I can only get the converter to come on for just a second before it goes back off I just put a brand new one in thinking it was the issue

What is the battery voltage when you are plugged into power.

What power source are you plugged into? Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord?

Robert

My inverter is reading 116-120 I'm plugged into a 50 amp and all I have besides a factory cord is a surge protector

What is your battery voltage at the batteries?

Robert

I will check one second

10-4

12.5

OK....

Go to your inverter and make sure you do not have a breaker tripped on it, most inverters will have one or two breakers on them, they can be small round buttons or switches.

Robert

Ok I'll check it out, mine has one button on the front for power small button beside the power button a red green and yellow light on front with digital volt reading right now the yellow light is on with 115-120 volts

If the breaker is tripped then the fridge is not going to work.

It works on the inverter but once I power travel inverter off it no longer works

That is interesting as normally some of the AC power passes through the inverter the fridge would have to.

What is the make and model of the inveter and have you checked the breaker on it yet?

Give me a min and I'll send a picture

10-4