RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My norcold seems to only be working intermittently. Its gone…

Hello! My norcold seems...

Hello! My norcold seems to only be working intermittently. Its gone for a day or two then is not staying cold. There are no warning lights everything looks okay, the interior light stays on. My good however is warm.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know the model of your Norcold lighting?

*good for a day or two

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold lighting? What have you tried so far?

Model number N611 RT I haven't tried anything besides turning it off then turning it back on in a couple hours or sometimes daya

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so. The fridge is in an RV obviously and the RV is parked and plugged in to a household line.

Okay ��
6/14/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

What I would do is plug the fridge into an outside source with an extension cord and see if the problem goes away. IF you are plugging the RV into a standard 110 outlet and running the fridge on electric it can draw a good amount of amps and with other items running you might overload the circuit, it would be a good test to try.

I would also disconnect the thermistor and see if the box gets really cold, when you disconnect the thermistor the fridge will default to full cooling and the box should get very cold. The thermistor shares the connector inside the box with the light connector. IF the fridge gets very cold then I would replace it.

IF the fridge stops cooling all together you would want to test it on LP no cooling on both sources indicates an issue with the cooling unit.

Hope this helps. Robert

The interior light stays on even if the fridge is not cooling, would that be the case of it wasn't getting enough power? I also don't have anything else running and it worked fine for a couple weeks before it didn't

Understand. The fridge runs on DC power, it is required for the circuit board. Normally you want to test it on BOTH sources for at least 6 hours and see what happens, if you get no or poor cooling inside the box then the thermistor or cooling unit is suspect, also make sure the fridge is level.

Robert

I have no idea what a thermistor is or where to find it

One end of the thermistor sits on a back fin in the box the other end plugs into the connector with the interior light inside the box.

Might want a good RV mobile tech or shop diagnose, no more then one hour of labor time.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic