RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Green light is on but Norcold N8X is not getting cold—on LP…

Green light is on...

Green light is on but Norcold N8X is not getting cold—on LP or Electric

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Green light in front of RV fridge

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2019 Jayco Melbourne 24k

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Comtrol board was changed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tried lighting stove to pass gas through from stove to refrigerator

6/13/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

ThanksOk

Normally when you get NO cooling in the box on BOTH LP and AC power it is going to be an issue with the thermistor or cooling unit.

What you can do to test the thermistor is disconnect it. When you dis-connect it the fridge should default to FULL cooling in the box. The connector is inside the fridge and shares the same connector as the interior light. Disconnect it and let the fridge run for about 6 hours and see if the box gets cold, if it gets cold I would replace it.

The other issue is the cooling unit a cooling unit can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. For a blockage you might not have any symptoms at all but NO cooling on both LP and AC power. Once a cooling unit becomes blocked it normally needs to be replaced. Sometimes pulling the fridge out and flipping it end ove end and letting it sit upright level for several hours will help get the ammonia solution going again but there are no guaranties in doing that.

Hope this helps some. Robert

Thank you we will try the thermistor

Sounds good.

Robert

If the thermistor is disconnected and it works, can I leave it disconnected for three weeks until I can get it repaired

Yes you can it may freeze the food in the box.

Robert

That is fine. Thank you

No problem at all.

Robert

One more question. Is the tube supposed to get hot behind the fridge on the outside door? It fires up and makes noise.

So the coils on the back of the fridge should be nice and warm these coils go back and forth and is the cooling unit, inside the cooling unit is an ammonia solution that gets heated up, they should feel nice warm from top to bottom, if you have any cool spots it would be a concern.

IF the fridge does NOT cool with the thermistor unplugged what you might want to try is get a rubber mallet and tap the coils sometimes that will get the ammonia solution circulating again. When the ammonia solution stops moving you loose cooling.

Robert

The silver tube is hot. The black is warming up. But is cool

That is the boiler vessel and above that are the tubes for the cooling unit.

The flue is where the heating takes place that is the silver piping.

IT will take a good 4-6 hours to see if the box cools if nothing happens try tapping the coils above the vessel.

Thanks. I appreciate it

No problem at all.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic