RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My refrigerator illumination light does not come on. also…

Customer Question
My refrigerator illumination light...

My refrigerator illumination light does not come on. also when turning it on it fails to get cold inside and also the freezer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

On the eyebrow are lights to show it is turned on for electric or gas.also a light to check the situation.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Damon, challenger, 2010 368

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Challenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes! the dometic refrig model #DM2852 has a control panel with on/off button, check button separate button for gas. having pressed the on/off button several times , the auto light does not stay on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

When pressing the electric button, the interior does not get cold.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/8/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Is the interior light inside the box turning on?

Robert

OK

Please allow me several mins to type a response, lots to cover.

Robert

The fridge needs a good DC supply to run the circuit board, on the back of the fridge under the access panel you will see a small plastic terminal block, the DC wires get screwed down into the block, you should have over 12 volts DC.

When you are in auto and plugged into power the fridge should always want to run on electric, if you loose the electric in auto the fridge will switch to gas. IF it fails to light off on gas only then will the check light come on.

So check the outlet the fridge is plugged into it should have voltage, if the outlet has voltage leave the fridge unplugged and remove the cover on the circuit board, the circuit board is under the outside access panel, it has a plastic cover. On the board are some fuses, one fuse is for AC power and one for DC power, if the AC power fuse was blown the fridge would default to gas. Do not touch the AC fuse with the fridge plugged into the outlet.

The fridge should have still fired off on gas, the non illumination light tells me possibly low DC voltage or the circuit board or display is the problem. When it defaults to gas you should hear the electrode sparking. IF the electrode is sparking I would remove the cover at the bottom of the flue, under that metal cover is a burner tube, this is where the propane comes out, get an air nozzle and blow out the tube really good, sometimes bugs and debris can get inside the tube and the fridge may not fire off.

IF the outlet has voltage, the fuse on the board is NOT blown, you have good DC voltage at the terminal block and it is defaulting to propane then the circuit board is most likely the issue.

Robert