RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have my 2016 Forest River 2401s in storage, I need to buy…

I have my 2016...

I have my 2016 Forest River 2401s in storage, I need to buy replacement cabin batteries but need to know the dimensions of the battery storage area. Can you give me that information? Or... dimensions of the largest battery that it will accept. Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

The battery are the originals and have lost there capacities. No leaking and a volt meter test would show around 11.5 volts.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '16 Forest River?

2401s

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, myself. I have tried nothing yet.

6/5/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Ok

Did you have these load tested and know they are bad? Best do that first. And then check the charging system and be sure that is charging them as they should. That voltage should be between 13.7 and 14.2 VDC at the batteries. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you. If you need new ones the best thing you can install there would be two 6 VDC golf cart batteries hooked up in series to make one "12 VDC unit" using the two batteries. Those will give you about 1/3 more amps than two 27 series batteries. Series connections are positive to negative between the two batteries. I hope that points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me again later as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limits. Randall

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
I need to know the dimensions of the battery box to know what to buy. Can you provide that?

I have no way of knowing that. I can give you the dimensions of the batteries. The are 7" x 10.25" and the SRM-24 series are 7" x 11" and about half the amp hours.

How do you feel about AGM and lithium as a replacement upgrade? I do want to have 100 ah availability (we dry camp a lot) and want to avoid the generator use.

Not AGM and if you use Lithium you have to add a new charging system as well. Lots of money! I don't think that would be cost effective here.

I have not heard that.

I sell these systems in my shop and I live off grid and have a large system.

What is the ah I could expect from two 6v in series?

About 225.

Wow!

Yes. Pretty good!

I also want to add a 3000 watt inverter to charge two eBikes. They will draw about 600 watts each for up to a couple of hours. 140 watt plug and play solar panel is part of my current system as well.
What do you think of that? Still good with the two 6v?

You should add two more or a lot more solar. Or go to a Lithium set up like Battle Born has.