RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The RV refrigerator works great on propane, but not on AC.

Customer Question
The RV refrigerator works...

The RV refrigerator works great on propane, but not on AC. When using AC the temperature stays in the 60’s. What should check?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

I have a 5th wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Grand design reflexion 2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not much, I just moved the thermistor to another blade and purchased a little fan to move the air.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

The fridge was serviced once at Beckley’s RV center in Maryland but the problem still persists.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
6/1/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Normally when a fridge works good on propane and not electric it could be a problem with the AC heating element. The AC heating element can be ohmed out to see if it is good or not. IF you can get me the make and model of the fridge I can explain how to test the element. Normally not a thermistor issue if it cools good on propane.

Robert

Don't know the exact model, it is a Norcold 18 cu feet, with 2 doors for the freezer and 2 for the fridge.

I would need the model number as Norcold has many, many different models, you can always come back and let me know, I am around daily and respond when I can so no hurry on my end.

Robert

I found some paperwork and I stand corrected the fridge is a 12 cubic ft and the model is 1210.If this is not enough info I will get back to you on Saturday when I go to RV.

No that is what I was looking for the model is a 1210.

Give me a few mins I will respond back.

Robert

Your model actually has two AC heating elements, they go from the vertical flue pipe to the circuit board. With the fridge OFF and the outlet unplugged from the fridge locate the wires on the flue canister and follow them back to the circuit board, disconnect the wire and then ohm them out leading to the element you should have 58 to 68 ohms at room temperature. Possible one of the elements is not working. Normally when you have good cooling on propane it is not a thermistor or cooling uit issue.

This model does have fans that should kick on and off, if they were not coming on it would be a problem. Below is a service manual for you, I would look that over is it does have some useful information.

Hope this helps.

Robert

http://rvrefrigeratorrepair.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Norcold-Service-1210.pdf

Ok thanks. We will try it out.

Sounds good.

Have a great night.

Robert

You too

Thanks!

Robert

Hi Robert, we just checked the AC elements and ohm was 63 for both. How do I check if the fans are running.

The service manual I sent you talks about the fans and where they are located and how they come on, below is the link again see page 48.

Also the board should be passing AC voltage to the elements, if it is not passing voltage then the board is bad if you have voltage at the outlet and the fuse is good on the board. The circuit board is located under the outside access panel and has a cover. IF you remove the cover UNPLUG the fridge from the outlet as you do not want to touch the AC fuse when it is plugged in. I did not mention this as normally if the board does not sense the AC power it will default to propane. However it may not default if it is not sending voltage to the wires for the element, I might verify with a AC pen.