RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have power to the 5th wheel buy no power inside. Outlets…

We have power to...

We have power to the 5th wheel buy no power inside. Outlets don't work a/c, ceiling fan etc does not work. I checked the breaker to both the electrical panel outside in the 50 amp mail breaker inside and still no power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent, was working fine last night and when I came out this morning , nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2019 montana 3790RD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've checked that the breakers were not tripped.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

My outside surge protector says that it is getting power and everything is good up to there.

5/31/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Do you happen to have a generator built into the RV OR is the RV prepped for a genertor?

The reason I ask is if you do then you have a transfer switch that detects the incoming power source and switches between shore and generator power. When they fail they will not allow the AC power into the RV. Many newer units come prepped and they hook the shore line to the transfer switch.

Go around the RV and make sure you also do not have a tripped GFI, these will be outlets with a test and reset on them, they are normally in the bathroom and or galley areas. IF you have an inverter you also want to check that for a tripped breaker. An inverter allows you to have AC power when you are dry camping, not all RV's have them, if you do have one they like to run the outlet circuit through it. Most inverters have one or two breakers on them.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.
Robert

I do not have a generator although it came prewired for one. The gfi was not popped. Everything was working fine last night, we are loading to prepare for a trip. When I came out this morning we had no power. My surge protector I use between the electrical panel and the 5th wheel says we are getting power.

I suspect the transfer switch is the problem since you are showing good voltage at the surge but it is not getting to the main breaker panel. IF you RV is pre-wired then most likely the transfer switch is wired up. Follow the shore cord and it will go directly to the transfer switch, hard for me to tell you location because it changes per year and floor plan.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Just so you know it ended up being the plug on the power cord.

Thanks for the update on this.

Robert