RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a trailer (30') that has a 25' supply cord. Im not…

I have a trailer...

I have a trailer (30') that has a 25' supply cord

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Im not sure of the wire size for the supply line

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

What guage wire can I use to safley operate my trailor?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I had it plugged into a 20A breaker and it would continue to trip the breaker.

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer for you here. Thanks!

rather type than talk--I don't herar so wellrather type than talk--I don't hear so well

Good morning! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I apologize for the delay in someone getting to your question! Thank you for your patience. Sometimes we get overwhelmed with questions and some of our techs may be on vacation. Or it might have been just the hour of the night when most of us are in bed already! I try to work from about 4:30 a.m. to around 10 p.m. each day. It has been very busy here lately and we are shorthanded due to the holiday time of year.

I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living and I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the correct amperage rating for your RV hook up. I can tell you that anything less than the rated amperage of your shore cord is going to be a problem. 30 amp rated cords have 3 prongs and are 120 VAC plugs. 50 amp rated cords have 4 prongs and are 240 VAC plugs. If you use any kind of adapter on that cord you are going to cut down the power you have to your RV and limit what you can safely turn on. No A/C use or any heavy amp draw appliance for sure! Best to set up the source correctly first!

I hope this points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me again later if you need additional assistance with this as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. Thanks! Randall in RV

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
WILL A 12 GA.-100FT. EXTENSION CORD BE ADEQUATE TO RUN MY TRILER SAFELY?

Absolutely not! No wonder it blows the breaker. You are going to have to find a way to get closer to the source or have a power source brought closer to you. That is never going to work. Even an 8 gauge cord would be a problem!

tHE TRAILER IS PARKED IN MY YARD--POWER SUPPLIED FROM THE GARAGE--WITH A 30a BREAKER
what gauge extension cord do I need to run the trailer safely?

Some 8 gauge direct burial cable like you can buy at the hardware store. Or make up one that you can put in some small diameter poly pipe or PVC pipe.

RV extension cords would be pretty expensive!

I have a 75' extension cord #1o gauge wire--will that work?I have a 75' extension cord #1o gauge wire--will that work? THE TRAILER IS 60' FROM THE GARAGE

Yes, that is big enough. Too big really. If the trailer is 60 ft from the garage you should be able to use a 50 ft 30 gauge RV cord. Most shops or dealers would have one.

WILL IT WORK TEMPORARILY ? MY HOUSE BURNT DOWN NOV, 5, 1919
WHAT I AM LIVING IN SINCE THAT TIME IS THE TRAILER I SPEAK OF.
I HAD AN ELECTRITION INSTALL A 30 AMP BREAKER--HE SAID IF I USED IT I COULD START A FIRE.WILL IT WORK TEMPORARILY ? MY HOUSE BURNT DOWN NOV, 5, 1919
I HAD AN ELECTRITION INSTALL A 30 AMP BREAKER--HE SAID IF I USED IT I COULD START A FIRE.
THIS IS A TEMPORARY SET UP---I'M BUILDING A NEW HOUSE.

Did he install it as a 120 VAC outlet? Most of them think these are 240 VAC systems on 30 amp like an old dryer outlet. And I am sorry to hear that you lost your home!

THE BOX THAT CONNECTS TO THE BREAKER HAS A RECEPTACLE THAT WILL TAKE EITHER THE TRAILER PLUG OR A CONVENTIONAL GROUNDED PLUG
WOULD A 12 GA. EXTENSION DUE FOR ABOUT A MONTH?