RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have an atwood 7916 in water heater. Is it electric? How…

We have an atwood...

We have an atwood 7916 in water heater. Is it electric? How does it start?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2014 starcraft comet alone type

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have running water . The water heater isn't on. Not sure how to turn it on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is this model electric or just propane. Are refrigerator is both.

5/26/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

That is not the water heater, that is the furnace Atwood 7916 below is an owners manual for that.

Look under the outside access panel for the water heater normally you will find an eye lit you have to line up with a slot and then the panel swings down. IF you can not read the sticker send me a photo. You can add photos into your response using the paper clip icon on the page.

Robert

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Atwood-Furnace-Series-7900-II-Users-Manual.pdf

Oh, the furnace works fine, so I guess we need help with the water heater MPD937576It says it can be electric or gas or both. We want to run it by electricity.

Please allow me several mins to type a response, I do apologize for the delay, I need to wrap up with another RV owner and I will respond/
Robert

I am not finding anything on that number.

Atwood makes water heaters that are propane only and propane and electric.

In order for electric to work you need to be plugged into power as the tank gets heated with an AC heating element. The tank needs to have water inside of it, most water heaters have a bypass valve that is located opposite of the outside access panel, meaning you have to go inside the RV to that area, pull some panels or drawers to get at the valves. Some will have a hot, cold and bypass the hot and cold should be open or valve handle running with the pipe and the bypass closed or valve handle running against the pipe.

Once you have verified water in the tank all you would need to do is turn on a switch, this switch is normally located near the switch to turn it on with propane it can be in the kitchen area, bathroom or on the monitor panel. It will take a good 30 mins for the water to heat on electric.

Below is a service manual that covers ALL Atwood water heaters, it may help out.

Robert

http://waterheatertimer.org/pdf/Atwood-Water-Heater-Service-manual.pdf

I don't see the switch. There is one for the water pump but we are hooked up to a hose.

Can you take a picture of the outside of the water heater and send it to me? you can add photos into your reply using the paper clip icon on the page.
Robert

That is a pilot model only. Below is a link for you on how to light it off. IT is a Robert Shaw Unitrol model the directions are on page 4. That should not have an electric option, IF you find the model number I can double check that, it will be under the access panel most start with the letter G and then some letters and numbers.

Robert

https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/media/uploads/1/11454_Atwood-Water-Heater-4-6-10-gallon-Manual.pdf

G6A-7

Not an electric model.

Robert

I see that now. It has to have a C in the model number to be both. That makes sense. Well, we will do the propane then. If I have questions I will reconnect with Just Ask. You helped me. Thanks

Glad to help.

Have a great evening.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic