RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

How do I get the hot water tank to ignite in my Rv? 2017…

Customer Question
How do I get...

How do I get the hot water tank to ignite in my Rv?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2017 Fleetwood storm 36f

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Everything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

When I run the hot water I can hear the hot water tank blowing but it's not getting hot.....

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
5/24/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Okay Thanks!

If the flame on the water heater is going go to the panel outside and access the relief valve on the back of the water heater. Carefully pull up on the small tab and see if you have hot water or steam. IF you DO they I would check your bypass valve. The bypass is normally located opposite of the outside access panel, meaning you may need to go inside the RV to that area and pull some drawers or a false panel to get at the valves. Most will have a hot, cold and bypass the hot and cold should be open or valve handle running with the pipe and the bypass closed or valve handle against the pipe.

IF that is not the problem you may have a failed check valve that screws into the tank, below is a link of a picture. they can be plastic or brass and have tiny arrows on it for direction of flow, it would also be on the back side of the water heater, it screws into the tank and then the line from the RV hooks up to it. When the spring and disc fall out it can block the flow of hot water.

Also if you have an outdoor sprayer make sure the valves are shut, have seen some issues when they are left open with the water mixing.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert

Check Valve. This picture is for reference, it may not look exactly like yours, but shows valves and one way check valve.

What if there is no flame?

You said you heard it blowing.

IF there is NO flame have someone turn on the switch inside and listen for the electrode sparking, if it is not sparking it could be several things.

Get me the make and model of the water heater and I can continue to assist you if needed. Should be a sticker under the outside access panel.

Robert

Atwood is the make the model # OD-5001 the serial# *****This is a picture of my unit if this is any help to you......
Also this is a picture of my on/off button on my control panel inside the RV. When I turn it on, it never lights up as I would expect it to.......is it supposed to light up when it's on?

This is an odd ball water heater, it is an "on demand" style and they can be very temperamental.

Below is a link for a manual that has some troubleshooting look that over as it may help. This water heater has many more parts then the standard water heater so you may need a RV mobile tech or shop to look at this if the troubleshooting does not help.

Robert

https://www.nexusrv.com/fckimages/pdf/Atwood_On_Demand_Water_Heater.pdf

I found out that my water heater is an on demand system.....but I can't find where the command center is for it. Would you happen to know where that is?

I sent you a link for a manual yesterday. On demand is instant water and you would only have a switch inside to get that going unless Fleetwood has some type of command center which allows you to turn on and off various systems. I am not sure you have that set up or not.

Robert