RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My refrigerator was working fine and woke up the next

Customer Question
My refrigerator was working...

My refrigerator was working fine and woke up the next morning and the light was blinking on and off I open the door it was warm and sigh delight still work am trying to figure out why it wont-work on a CIA at checked all of the circuit breakers and everything seems to be on

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?

I checked all the fuses and switches it tries to start then the light just starts to blink on and off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2004 Newmar Mountainaire

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked all the circuit breakers it fuses it is quit working 2 days ago I just doing some clean up on the motor home and the refrigerators with work I should I try it on the propane

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

The everyday is working good on the motor home is just the refrigerator and I'd like to get it fixed I plan on living in it for a while and traveling

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
5/20/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

In order to help you I would need to know the make and model of the fridge, also which light is blinking, many times the display panel will give a fault code with a blinking light but hard to say without knowing the make and model of the fridge.

IF you need time to get that I am around daily and respond when I can, should be a sticker inside the door with that info.
Robert

Just letting you know I am turning in for the night and will be available around 6 am PST.

One thing you could try on this is to take away all the DC power to the fridge, when you do this the display panel will go blank and the interior light will be off. On the dometic's the DC supply will go to a plastic terminal block under the outside access panel, the wires get screwed down into the plastic block.

The Norcold's power and ground go direct to the circuit board located under the outside panel. Normally the board is marked 12 VDC and GND for ground. Sometimes when you take the DC power away from the fridge it can reset the board and clear the code.

IF you still need more help please get me the make and model of the fridge and I will be able to help you after 6 am PST tomorrow.

Robert

Norcold 1200LRIM . Control light if on ac it satats blinking on au does the same on LPThen allwill stop blinking and green says on

When you are in auto the fridge should always want to work on AC power, if you loose the AC power then the fridge will default to LP, if the LP fails to light off then normally you will get a fault code. Some newer 1200's will display a code, the older models use a flashing light and audible alarm, see link below and tell me which symptom you are having from the faults. You should be able to see your control panel.

https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/SM_1200-Series_618968C_022707.pdf

Blinks AC AND THEN THE TEMP SETTING BLINKS

You could have a faulty thermistor is the temp setting is flashing. Inside the box on the back fin is one end of the thermistor, it clips to the fin, the other end plugs into the connector with the light. What I would do is disconnect that connector and make sure it is clean, sometimes they can get corroded from being in the box. Next on page 17 it will show you how to test the thermistor you will need a volt meter to do this test. IF you do not have a volt meter you can simply leave the connector disconnected and allow the fridge to run for about 4-6 hours doing this will put the fridge into a full cooling cycle, if everything gets cold doing that then I would replace the thermistor.

Robert

It still blinking but I cleaned and put on ice it fills like the freezer is getting cool

IF you disconnect the thermistor it is going to blink, you need to leave the door shut for at least 4 hours and then re-check, if you keep opening the doors it is going to take a very long time to cool off. The freezer will always get cold before the box has a chance to.

Robert

Should I leave it still in the ice bucket the thermostat are or should I hook it backup on the refrigerator

Did you ohm it out? was it good?

I ohm it out it said normal 0-6

See page 17 again, when you stick the thermistor in a cup of ice water and ohm the wires leading back to it you should have 30.-32 ohms

Omohm read 0 farenheit

you should have 30-32 OHMS if the thermistor is in a cup of ice water disconnect it and let the fridge run for about 4 hours.

Robert