RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I bought a new 2020 solitude with a Norcold 2118x double…

I bought a new...

I bought a new 2020 solitude with a Norcold 2118x double door refrigerator. The freezer is temp is 28 and the refrigerator will not stay cold on ac, battery or gas. I have found a manual and there is no error codes and all codes are good on the digital display. They say this model must be on the second fin from the right...but it is not staying cold. I have tested the thermistor and replaced it to play it safe.... what am I missing.. this refrigerator is 6 months old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

Sorry it is a 2118sst... yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '20 RV?

It is a grand design st390rk

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes because we are Living in it full-time and I have nothing to tow it with to the dealer fixing to call grand design and see what I can do about getting a tech out here

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Living in it full-time and I have nothing to tow it with to the dealer fixing to call grand design and see what I can do about getting a tech out here

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/14/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer for you here. Thanks!

Good afternoon! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I apologize for the delay in someone getting to your question! Thank you for your patience. Sometimes we get overwhelmed with questions and some of our techs may be on vacation.

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Norcold fridge not cooling properly. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I can tell you that this is usually due to one of two things. Either the thermistor is bad OR this might be improperly installed, especially if this installed in a slide out. Is that the case here? I have found that about half of those I inspect are not done correctly. If you have or can come up with a small digital multimeter we can test the thermistor. About $20 or so and easy to use.

I hope this points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me again later if you need additional assistance with this as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. Thanks! Randall in RV

I have already tested the thermistor.... even bought a new one and it test within the code... I have the manual and all the codes are clear and elec, gas and electricity are all working fine.... is the thermistor supposed to be on the second fin and upside downIs anyone there

Did you miss my question about the installation?

See the attached link for the Service Manual. Print this out so you have it. https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/637026B_SM_2118.pdf

See page 8 for the installation specs. If this in installed in a slide out the installation is critical for it to work properly. The good thing here is that it is still under warranty. Randall

I’m still here

You must not be seeing my responses. I have made a number of them.

Check your e-mail.

Emil tell me the same thing on text and online

So I asked you a question about the installation and got no answer.

Why is my response not showing here... my refrigerator in the rear of the 5th not. Slide out

Not a slide out installation? It still needs to be checked. There may be some insulation or construction debris that has fallen down on the condenser. If the air flow is blocked it won't cool.

If all that checks out then the cooling unit is suspect. A dealer can test this for you and Norcold will require this for any warranty.

If it was the cooling unit... wouldn’t it throw a code?

No.

Since this is under warranty you really shouldn't be messing with it anyway. You may end up voiding your warranty.

I’m not messing with it... just looking for codes and troubleshooting... could I hire someone to come out... I have money to get it to the dealership... we live in it full time

Then have a good mobile tech come out and check this. Most are Norcold Certified. This is too complex for most owners to try to figure out. Not every issue comes up as a code. If the cooling unit was not properly installed there won't be any code for that. Or if there is insulation fallen down on the condenser then it won't know that either. There is a good reason for having a warranty. I would advise using it.

Wish I knew who is a certified norcold mobile mechanicalI take it that expense will be out of my pocket

Check your local listings and make some calls. Ask them first. If they aren't then no use showing up. And if they are Norcold certified and this is a warranty issue then Norcold will cover it in most cases.

Guess what, I’m curious why the upper bent area is half covered with a piece of sheet metal. I did nothing but hook up a table fan blowing air up through the coils... the freezer is at 20 degrees and the refrigerator is at 36 degrees... what is this telling you?

What I told you before about the installation being critical AND that the existing fans are probably NOT coming on. That is going to take a Service Call to resolve.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Thank you for that most generous bonus! Not necessary, but always appreciated here. Be safe!