RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have not power in my camper. Battery appears bad but

Customer Question
I have not power...

I have not power in my camper. Battery appears bad but pulled it and no power even when plugged in. What is your thought about what is the problem. We are first time camper owners.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2008 heartland bighorn

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked to see if plug in is working and tripped the breakers which all seemed good. Next I was planning to find the converter or inverter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

We have no books on the camper which makes it difficult to trouble shoot

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
5/11/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

The power is split AC power an DC power.

The AC power is strictly the outlets, TV and microwave. They should all be working when you are plugged in. The power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery. IF you are getting no AC voltage into the RV then the power converter is not going to work. IT is possible the power converter has failed as well.

The power converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel or stand alone and plug into an outlet, the stand alone style will be about the size of a shoe box and have some fuses on it. It can be located about anywhere, under the fridge, stove, behind a panel in one of the outside compartments. Many times they like to stick it close the breaker/fuse panel inside or outside and I would look in that location first. Hard for me to say as it changes per year and floor plan.

I can say it is not good having a battery hooked up, the battery acts as a filter for the converter so you probably want to have the battery load tested and see if it is good or not, most RV or auto parts stores can load test them for free.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

I have no power for the 110 plug ins in addition to the DC lights. Understand the bad battery is causing no light but why don`t the 110 outlets work while plugged in?

You would want to check the power supply source, if you are plugging into a standard 110 outlet it can cause issues. You would want to plug the RV in direct to a good source with no cords or adapters. The incoming AC power will go right to the breaker panel unless you have a generator or the RV is prepped for a generator. Then the power goes to a transfer switch.

Make sure you are also not plugging into a 220 outlet, in a RV a 50 amp service (4 prong plug) is TWO 110 volt legs coming into the RV to equal 220 volts, not 220 direct. A 30 amp ( three prong plug) is one leg of 110 coming into the RV. Some outlet for welders or dryers are 220 and you never want to plug into that. Have to start with the supply source and follow the path of voltage into the RV.

Robert