RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a motorhome that uses 30 amp electric. When it's

I have a motorhome that...
I have a motorhome that uses 30 amp electric. When it's parked it is plugged into a regular 110 GFI outlet with the help of some adapters to "dumb it down". So going from the outlet to the MH, there is the 110 to 30amp Surge suppressor, and then the 30 amp cable from the surge suppressor to the MH. The past few days, the GFI circuit on the outlet keeps tripping. When I plug in the surge suppressor all lights are green.. when I connect the cable that goes to the MH, it slowly turns one of the green lights to orange (which means reverse polarity) and eventually trips the breaker. HELP!!!
4/29/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Take your time.. :)

You really should not plug a RV of that size into a standard 110 outlet, what can happen is the cords and even the supply outlet can start to heat up and sometimes you can even melt wires. It is not good to do, I realize some owners do that and that is mainly on smaller towable RV's and it can still cause problems. What I would do in your position is take the RV and plug into a 30 amp service direct, if everything works fine you know the adapter or supply is the problem. I would encourage you to have a 30 amp service installed to use when it is parked, pretty easy to install and below is a link for you on how to accomplish this.

You might say well it has worked before. I would say to that things can change, if the batteries were discharged then the power converter is going to pull more amps to keep them charged up. IT is possible if you had a short or something it can cause this, an example would be the AC heating element for the water heater, if it was bad then it can cause the GFI to trip. One way to test this is turn all the breakers off in the RV then start turning them on one at a time, start with the main breaker, and then do each one and see when it trips, if you get to one for the water heater or fridge, then that might be causing the problem. Really need to get away from using that 110 service on a RV this size.

Robert

30 amp wiring.

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

Got it.. this makes sense. I will check this out and let you know what (if anything) that happens. Thank you so much for your help.

No problem at all.

Have a great day and stay safe.

Robert

Thank you! You do as well!

Thanks.
Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic