RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a FR Salem 27REI and for some reason today the

Customer Question
Hi there! We have...

Hi there! We have a FR Salem 27REI and for some reason today the furnace is not working. We have a full propane tank and the burners are working on the stove top

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

It was super windy and rainy over night 2019 FR Salem REI27

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We checked the connections, checked that the propane was working elsewhere in the RV, cycled the thermostat

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it - thanks

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
4/5/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

As soon as you turn the thermostat ON and select the furnace mode and raise the temp up the fan should kick on for the furnace.

IF the fan is NOT coming on then it could be an issue with the thermostat or circuit board on the furnace. IF you can access the board on the furnace it can be checked or tested with a special board tester at most good RV stores. Also you do want to check the fuses in the interior fuse panel and check the furnace for a tripped breaker, some furnaces will have a round circuit breaker on them, some have an on/off switch.

IF the fan is coming on please let me know, if the fan is coming on also listen for the electrode, you would hear it trying to light the propane.

Robert

Thanks Robert - the fan comes on if we have the thermostat in cool or fan mode but not for heat.I don't see any tripped circuits in the fuse box inside, but haven't looked at the furnace itself yet for a reset button

The fan would be from the furnace, not the AC unit. So need to check the furnace for a tripped breaker. IF you have access to the circuit board what you would want to do is see if one of the pins on the harness that plugs into the circuit board has voltage when you turn the thermostat ON and set it to the furnace mode. IF you have voltage to the harness then the circuit board on the furnace is suspect. Might not be a simple repair as on some units the furnace has to be removed to access the components. IF you can get me the make and model if the furnace I might be able to send you some more troubleshooting.
Robert

Thanks - can't find that info right now and not at the trailer at the moment. Ok to message you later?

Yes that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert