RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Use my onboard Onan 5500 gasoline generator all the time.

Customer Question
Use my onboard Onan...

Use my onboard Onan 5500 gasoline generator all the time. Ran out of gas. Runs and shits off. Code 36. Replaced fuel filter. Replaced fuel pump. Run for 6 hours before it shit off. I can hear the fuel sucking air when I prime it. Runs for 30 minutes shits off. Ugh?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

External

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2013 keystone fuzion

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself. Already described what I've dome

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
3/28/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Okay ��

Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer for you here. Thanks!

K

Good evening! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I apologize for the delay in someone getting to your question! Thank you for your patience. Sometimes we get overwhelmed with questions and some of our techs may be on vacation.

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your generator. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I can tell you that this is easy to check with a small digital multimeter like you can find at most local hardware stores for about $20. I can direct you in some testing.

It sounds like from your description of the problem that the fuel line may have dried out and is sucking air. Today's fuel with do this in a few year. In the shop we hook up an external fuel source to test that theory. If it works fine that way you know where the problem is.

I hope this points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me again later if you need additional assistance with this as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. Thanks! Randall in RV

Ok. An external fuel source wouldn't help in my opinion, since it runs fine sometimes. I'll just replace the fuel line and go from there.

Suit yourself. It is the preferred method in the shop. Have a good evening.

I didn't mean to offend you...

I'm not offended. We give advice based on years of experience, but we can't force customers to go by it. You have a different opinion and that's fine. It happens here.

Ok. I will do a 5 gallon can of gas and let you know the results...

10-4.

Here's the result after running a 5-ft gas line to a 5-gallon gas can. ran Saturday night for a few hours without shutting off. Ran 10 hours yesterday then shut off with no fault code. It was not out of gas. I had both air conditionings running and the dryer. It tripped the GFI. It started up and ran fine for two more hours. It's been running this morning for 3 and 1/2 hours without a problem.

I think that answered the question. And it will stop if you overload it like that. Each A/C pulls up to 20 amps on a hot day which is 2400 watts. Dryers are at least 1,500 watts. Add some misc uses and you are over 5500 watts. Sounds like it is time for a new gas line. Randall

I agree... Is there a chance it could be something in the fuel tank itself

Almost never.

Ok. There are two lines running to the back. One goes to a filter of some sort. Do I need to replace it also?

Probably not, as that is usually a breather hose. If badly checked I would though.

Ok...

Good job!

I replaced the fuel line...37 feet. It ran for 3 hours and shut off with code 36. Then did it again 30 minutes later. Then ran for 5 hours. The next day it ran for 8 hours with no issues. The time it shit off, I was securing the line to the frame. I didn't crimp it or kink it. Just manipulating to reattach it. Once I stopped it ran fine again.

That sounds like you finally got it resolved! Good job!

Thanks for your help!!!!!

You are most welcome! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer and be safe.