RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Is there any way I could send you a short recording of the…

Customer Question
Is there any way...

Is there any way I could send you a short recording of the noise that is clicking loadly from behind the battery control center of my 1996 fleetwood above my inverter that isn’t working ether but hasn’t in a while and never made this sound

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Noise that is clicking loadly where the battery control center box is above my inverter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Can I talk to a real person

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I’m hoping when the end of the power cord was changed out that it was wired right but all the battery’s r all charged up

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
3/27/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What you might be hearing is the transfer switch they like to stick them in that location behind the breaker panel, of course this would only occur when you are plugged in and have AC power coming into the transfer switch. I might unplug from power and see if it goes away when you start the generator, if the noise goes away when starting the generator I would have the supply source checked out make sure you are using NO adapters or cords when you are plugging in. Possible if you put a new end on the cord it is the problem as well.

Robert

If it was reversed polarity would it be getting really hot or would it be doing this or damaging it worse I’m pretty sure and if it’s not reverse polarity would it be a bad plug itself? Is a1996 fleetwood a 110 or 220?

IF you were plugged into a standard 110 house outlet the cord can get really hot as it would be trying to pull to many amps and when that happens the cord can heat up and you would have low AC voltage which could cause the chattering in the transfer switch. You should be able to get a polarity checker and plug it into the outlets and see if the polarity is correct or not. I think I would plug the cord into another source with NO cords or adapters and see what happens. IF you are plugging into a standard 110 outlet you find in a house it could be the issue here. Start the generator and see what happens as well, just make sure you unplug the shore cord before starting the generator, never want to start the generator when it is plugged into power.

Robert

it’s not a 220?

NO in a RV if you have a 30 amp cord it is 3 prong ONE hot leg of 120 NOT 220 direct. A 50 amp or 4 prong is two hot legs of 120 not 220/240 direct. 220 can damage a RV. Some welder or dryer outlets might allow you to plug into them and that is a big problem.